From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1050s 1060s 1070s – 1080s – 1090s 1100s 1110s|
|Years:||1078 1079 1080 – 1081 – 1082 1083 1084|
Events[change | change source]
- Corfu taken from Byzantine Empire by Robert Guiscard, Norman King of Southern Italy
- Byzantine emperor Nicephorus III is overthrown by Alexius I Comnenus, ending the Middle Byzantine period and beginning the Comnenan dynasty
- Alexius I helps defend Albania from the Normans (the first recorded mention of Albania), but is defeated at the Battle of Dyrrhachium.
- Beginning of the construction of Saint Canute's Cathedral in Odense.
- May 8 – Alfonso VI of Castile marries Constance of Burgundy.