From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1680s 1690s 1700s – 1710s – 1720s 1730s 1740s|
|Years:||1715 1716 1717 – 1718 – 1719 1720 1721|
- July 21 – Treaty of Passarowitz signed
- November 22 – Off the coast of Virginia, English pirate Edward Teach (best known as "Blackbeard") is killed in battle when a British boarding party cornered and then shot and stabbed him more than 25 times.
- November 30 – After the death of Charles XII, Ulrika Eleonora becomes Queen of Sweden.
- December 17 – Austria, Great Britain, and France declare war on Spain, launching the War of the Quadruple Alliance.
- The Funj warrior aristocracy deposes the reigning mek and places one of their own ranks on the throne of Sennar. (History of Sudan (Coming of Islam to the Turkiyah))
- March 31 - Mariana Victoria of Spain, queen regent of Portugal (d. 1781)
- November 3 - John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, English statesman (d. 1792)
- May 7 - Mary of Modena, queen of James II of England (b. 1658)
- July 30 - William Penn, American settler, founder of Pennsylvania (b. 1644)
- November 22 - Blackbeard, English pirate (b. c. 1680)
- November 30 - King Charles XII of Sweden (b. 1682)
- December 10 - Stede Bonnet, the "gentleman pirate"