2008 Formula One season
|Champion driver||Lewis Hamilton|
|Second driver||Felipe Massa|
|Third driver||Kimi Räikkönen|
The 2008 Formula One season was the 59th FIA Formula One World Championship season. It began on March 16 and was over on November 2 after eighteen races. Lewis Hamilton became the Drivers' World Champion while Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro won the Constructors' title.
Teams and drivers[change | change source]
Team changes[change | change source]
- Only a year after Spyker bought the Midland team, Indian businessman Vijay Mallya bought the team for €88 million. Mallya was allowed to change the team's name to Force India.
- During the 2008 season on 6 May, the Super Aguri team folded and withdrew from Formula One. The team was in financial problems at the end of 2007. The team did not receive payment on a sponsorship deal.
Driver changes[change | change source]
- Fernando Alonso: Left McLaren and joined Renault F1
- Heikki Kovalainen: Left Renault F1 and joined McLaren
- Giancarlo Fisichella: Left Renault F1 and joined Force India
- Nelson Piquet, Jr.: Left Renault F1 as a test driver and joined Renault F1
- Timo Glock: Came from racing in GP2 Series and as a test driver for BMW Sauber F1 and joined Toyota Racing
- Vitantonio Liuzzi: Left Scuderia Toro Rosso and joined Force India as a test driver
- Kazuki Nakajima: Came from racing in GP2 Series and WilliamsF1 as a test driver and joined WilliamsF1
- Alexander Wurz: Left WilliamsF1 and joined Honda Racing F1 as a test driver
- Christian Klien: Left Honda Racing F1 as a test driver and joined BMW Sauber F1 as a test driver
- Sakon Yamamoto: Left Spyker F1 and joined Renault F1 as a test and development driver
- Sébastien Bourdais: Came from Champ Car World Series and joined Scuderia Toro Rosso
- Marko Asmer: Came from British Formula Three Championship and joined BMW Sauber F1 as a test driver
2008 Race Calendar[change | change source]
† New circuits
‡ Night Race
Rule changes[change | change source]
- A standard Electronic Control Unit (ECU) was supplied by Microsoft and McLaren Electronic Systems.
- Traction control and launch control were banned. Other electronic aids including engine braking were also baned.
- Engine design changes will not be allowed for five years was started in 2008
- Fuel used in the race cars must contain at least 5.75% biological materials.
- Gearboxes (transmissions) must last four races.
- Cockpit protection was improved.
- Teams were not allowed to bring a third race car to use as a spare.
- Bridgestone will be the official tyre supplier for the 2008–2010 seasons.
- Team were not allowed to test more than 30,000 km (18,641 mi) during the 2008 calendar year.
Qualifying[change | change source]
- The first qualifying session was lengthened to 20 minutes. The third qualifying session was shortened to 10 minutes. After Q3, teams would no longer be allowed to add fuel back to the car. This got rid of the 'fuel-burn' phase.
- A minimum lap time for each qualifying session was implemented starting in Bahrain. This was to stop cars coasting back to the pits at dangerously low speeds.
- Following the departure of Super Aguri from Formula One, only the five drivers would be eliminated from Q1.
Results and standings[change | change source]
Grands Prix[change | change source]
Drivers[change | change source]
Bold – Pole
† Drivers did not finish the Grand Prix, but were classified as they completed over 90% of the race distance.
Constructors[change | change source]
† Driver did not finish the Grand Prix, but was classified as they completed over 90% of the race distance.
Bold – Pole
Race-fixing controversy[change | change source]
A scandal developed that became known as "Crashgate" in the media, during the 2009 season around the time of the Belgium Grand Prix. Claims were made by former Renault driver Nelson Piquet Jr. about his crash in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. This led to charges of race-fixing against Renault. Team boss Flavio Briatore and engineering director Pat Symonds left Renault.
References[change | change source]
- "2008 FIA Formula One World Championship Classifications". Fia.com. http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/championships/f1/Pages/ChampionshipClassification.aspx. Retrieved 2008-11-13.
- "2008 FIA Formula One Entry List". FIA.com. 2008-01-04. http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2008/January/040108-01.html. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- "Ferrari unveil the F2008". formula1.com. 2008-01-06. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7224.html. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "Ferrari confirm Räikkönen, Massa for ‘07". formula1.com. 2007-09-10. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2006/9/4933.html. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "Ferrari Team Profile". formula1.com. http://www.formula1.com/teams_and_drivers/teams/3.
- Hooper, Andy (2007-11-06). "Michael Schumacher to test drive for Ferrari". London: Telegraph.co.uk. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2325111/Michael-Schumacher-to-test-drive-for-Ferrari.html. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- "Ferrari extend Massa's contract to 2010". formula1.com. 2007-10-16. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/10/6983.html. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- "F1.08 a 'radical evolution', says Rampf". formula1.com. 2008-01-14. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7259.html. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "BMW Sauber retain Heidfeld and Kubica for 2008". formula1.com. 2007-08-21. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/8/6637.html. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "Klien and Asmer join BMW Sauber as test drivers". formula1.com. 2008-02-04. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/2/7322.html. Retrieved 2008-02-04.
- "R28 designed for optimum tyre performance". formula1.com. 2008-01-31. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7312.html. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "Alonso to partner Piquet at Renault for 2008". formula1.com. 2007-12-10. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/12/7167.html. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "Di Grassi named third driver at Renault". Yahoo Sport. 2008-02-08. http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08022008/23/di-grassi-named-third-driver-renault.html. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "Romain Grosjean looks forward". Yahoo Sport. 2008-01-31. http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/31012008/13/romain-grosjean-looks-forward.html. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "Renault signs Yamamoto as test driver". formula1.com. 2008-02-04. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/2/7323.html. Retrieved 2008-02-04.
- "New Williams breaks cover in Spain". fomula1.com. 2008-01-21. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7280.html. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "Toyota engines for Williams in 2007". formula1.com. 2006-07-27. http://www.formula1.com/news/4692.html. Retrieved 2006-10-20.
- "Williams confirm Rosberg, Nakajima for 2008". formula1.com. 2007-11-07. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/11/7071.html. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "Hülkenberg confirmed as Williams tester for 2008". formula1.com. 2007-12-14. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/12/7177.html. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "Red Bull debut the RB4 at Jerez". formula1.com. 2008-01-16. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7265.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Red Bull confirm Coulthard for 2008". formula1.com. 2007-07-06. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/7/6417.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Buemi confirmed as Red Bull test and reserve driver". formula1.com. 2008-01-16. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7266.html. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "Webber aims to improve on 2007". autosport.com. 2008-01-16. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64716. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "Longer wheelbase, new aero concept for latest Toyota". formula1.com. 2008-01-10. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7246.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Trulli commits to Toyota future". formula1.com. 2006-07-28. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2006/7/4701.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Kobayashi announced as Toyota third driver". formula1.com. 2007-11-16. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/11/7100.html. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "Glock to race for Toyota in 2008". formula1.com. 2007-11-19. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/11/7106.html. Retrieved 2007-11-19.
- "Vettel: Starting ’08 with ’07 car has advantages". formula1.com. 2008-01-28. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7299.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "New Toro Rosso hits the track in Spain". formula1.com. 2008-04-16. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/4/7642.html. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- "Bourdais secures 2008 Toro Rosso seat". formula1.com. 2007-08-10. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/8/6616.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Hartley – I'm Toro Rosso test driver". F1-Live.com. 2008-05-11. http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080511112229.shtml.
- "Vettel to stay at Toro Rosso for 2008". formula1.com. 2007-08-02. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/8/6571.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Honda targeting points at every race". formula1.com. 2008-01-29. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7303.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- Brundle, Martin (2007-07-19). "Honda keep Button & Barrichello". London: The Times. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5923-1797121,00.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Wurz signs to Honda as test and reserve driver". formula1.com. 2008-01-10. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7244.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Davidson returns for Barcelona test". ITV-F1.com. 2008-06-12. http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=42981.
- "Driver Profiles". Honda Racing F1 Official Website. http://www.hondaracingf1.com/hiband.
- "Barrichello staying with Honda for 2008". formula1.com. 2007-07-19. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/7/6487.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "February launch for new Super Aguri". formula.com. 2008-01-08. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7240.html. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Force India usher in a new era at Mumbai launch". formula1.com. 2008-02-07. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/2/7338.html. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "Exclusive interview – Spyker's Dr Vijay Mallya". formula1.com. 2007-10-10. http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2007/10/6964.html. Retrieved 2007-10-10.
- "Fisichella, Sutil, Liuzzi confirmed at Force India". formula1.com. 2007-01-10. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7248.html. Retrieved 2007-02-11.
- "McLaren launch the MP4-23 in Stuttgart". formula1.com. 2008-07-02. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7231.html. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "Hamilton commits to McLaren until 2012". formula1.com. 2008-01-18. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7276.html. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "Kovalainen confirmed at McLaren". autosport.com. 2007-12-14. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64384. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- "Kovalainen to partner Hamilton at McLaren for 2008". formula1.com. 2007-12-14. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/12/7182.html. Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- "Mallya and Mol are new Spyker owners". formula1.com. 2007-05-10. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/10/6928.html. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- "Super Aguri set to cut 30 jobs". autosport.com. 2007-11-20. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64111. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- "2008 FIA Formula One Calendar". formula1.com. 2007-10-24. http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- "Telefónica is European GP Sponsor (Translated from Spanish)". Valenciacircuitourbano.com. 2008-01-28. http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.valenciacircuitourbano.com%2F&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8. Retrieved 2008-01-28.
- "McLaren, Microsoft confirm ECU supply". autosport.com. 2006-12-11. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55980. Retrieved 2006-12-11.
- "Traction control axed from 2008". formula1.com. 2007-03-30. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/3/5857.html. Retrieved 2007-03-30.
- "Engine freeze shortened to five years". autosport.com. 2008-01-13. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64660.
- "F1 Rule Changes for 2008". Formula1.com. 2008-01-18. http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/6844/fia.html.
- "Understanding F1 2008: New regulations". f1complete.com. http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/7882/912. Retrieved 2008-03-09.
- "Cockpit safety to improve in 2008". autosport.com. 2007-09-26. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62721.
- "Bridgestone to be sole tyre supplier". formula1.com. 2006-07-06. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2006/74601.html. Retrieved 2006-07-06.
- "Qualifying adjusted after Aguri exit". ITV-F1.com. 2008-05-08. http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=42551.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: 2008 in Formula One|