2010 Copiapó mining accident
The 2010 Copiapó mining accident was a mining accident that happened on August 5, 2010, when the copper-gold mine of San José, located near Copiapó, Chile, collapsed. It left 33 miners trapped around 700 meters under the ground. 
The Mine of San José (Mina San José) is about 45 kilometres (28 mi) north of Copiapó, in the Region of Atacama. The miners were trapped at about 700 metres (2,300 ft) deep and about 5 kilometres (3 mi) from the entrance of the mine. The mine has had accidents in the past, including one death. A report from the Chilean Government from July 2010, said that the owners of the mine did not "reinforce the roof." The lack of reinforcement "led to an earlier collapse of the roof". There has been controversy over why the mine was not closed down earlier.
Some people, including lawyers representing the mining company, think that the owners of the mine will declare bankruptcy after the miners are rescued.
On October 13, 2010, Florencio Ávalos reached the surface. He was the first miner to be rescued.
Related pages [change]
|Wikinews has news related to this article: 2010 Copiapó mining accident|
- Navarrete, Camila (August 6, 2010). "Se confirman las identidades de mineros atrapados en mina San José en Región de Atacama." (in Spanish). Radio Bío Bío. http://www.radiobiobio.cl/2010/08/06/se-confirman-las-identidades-de-mineros-atrapados-en-mina-san-jose-en-region-de-atacama/. Retrieved 07-08-2010.
- "Onemi confirma a 33 mineros atrapados en yacimiento en Atacama" (in Spanish). La Tercera. August 6, 2010. http://www.latercera.com/noticia/nacional/2010/08/680-282082-9-onemi-confirma-33-mineros-atrapados-tras-derrumbe-en-yacimiento-en-atacama.shtml. Retrieved 07-08-2010.
- Haroon Siddique (23 August 2010). "Chilean miners found alive – but rescue will take four months". London: The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/23/miners-trapped-alive-chile. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- "33 Chilean miners await deepest rescue in history". 24 August 2010. http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/67594,news-comment,news-politics,33-chilean-miners-in-san-jose-gold-and-copper-mine-await-deepest-rescue-in-history-sebastian-pinera. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "First of 33 trapped miners reaches surface – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs". cnn.com. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/12/workers-begin-to-rescue-trapped-chilean-miners/?hpt=T1&iref=BN1. Retrieved October 12, 2010.