5-1-1 is a special telephone number in the United States and some parts of Canada. It is made to be easy to remember. People can dial the number on a landline phone or on a mobile phone to get information about traffic and travel.
In March 2001, there were more than three hundred phone numbers about traffic and travel. This was confusing to many people, because so many numbers existed, or were there, for the same thing. To fix this, the United States Department of Transportation (called the USDOT) asked the Federal Communications Commission (called the FCC) for a special N11 code. On July 21, 2000, the FCC made 5-1-1 the national telephone number for travel information.
- "511 Guidelines Version 3.0". Sep 2005. pp. 5. http://www.deploy511.org/docs/511%20Guidelines%20Version%203.0.pdf. Retrieved 2007-04-07.
Other websites [change]
5-1-1 numbers for specific places [change]
- San Francisco Bay Area
- San Diego
- Florida - Tampa Bay Area
- Florida - Southwest Florida Area
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Northern New England – Vermont
- Northern New England – New Hampshire
- Northern New England – Maine
- Southwest Ohio - Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky
- South Dakota