From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||8th century – 9th century – 10th century|
|Decades:||850s 860s 870s – 880s – 890s 900s 910s|
|Years:||883 884 885 – 886 – 887 888 889|
- The Glagolitic alphabet, devised by Cyril and Methodius, missionaries from Constantinople, is adopted in the Bulgarian Empire.
- Alfred the Great captures London and renames it Lundenburgh. The boundaries between Wessex and the Danelaw are shifted.
- Alfred the Great builds a small harbour called Queenhythe slightly upstream from London Bridge.
- Alfred the Great mints the first halfpenny. Previous halfpennies had been pennies cut in half.
- Earl Aethelred is given control of London by Alfred the Great. Alfred's sister Ethelfleda marries Aethelred.
- Leo VI succeeds his stepfather Basil I as Byzantine emperor and replaces patriarch Photius with his brother Stephen I.
- Khan Boris I of Bulgaria establishes the Preslav and Ohrid Literary Schools.
- Charles II of France purchases peace with Vikings at Paris.