|Launched||April 29, 1977
(original launch; as CBN Satellite Service)
August 1, 1988
(relaunch; as The CBN Family Channel)
September 15, 1990
(renamed as The Family Channel)
August 15, 1998
(relaunch; as Fox Family Channel)
November 10, 2001
(relaunch; as ABC Family)
|Owned by||Christian Broadcasting Network (1977-1990)
International Family Entertainment (1990-1998)
Fox Family Worldwide Inc. (Fox Entertainment Group/News Corporation; 50%, Haim Saban; 50%)
ABC Family Worldwide Inc.
(Disney–ABC Television Group/The Walt Disney Company)
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)
|Slogan||A New Kind of Family|
|Headquarters||Burbank, California, United States|
|Formerly called||CBN Satellite Service (1977-1984)
CBN Cable (1984-1988)
The CBN Family Channel (1988-1990)
The Family Channel (1990-1998)
Fox Family (1998-2001)
|Sister channel(s)||Disney Channel, Disney Junior,
Disney XD, ABC, ABC News Now, Soapnet, Live Well Network,
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, ESPNU
|Dish Network||180 (SD)|
|Verizon FiOS||699 (HD)
|Available on most cable systems||Check local listings|
|AT&T U-Verse||1178 (HD)
178 (East, SD)
179 (West, SD)
ABC Family is an American basic cable and satellite television channel. It is owned by ABC Family Worldwide Inc. This is part of the Disney-ABC Television Group division of The Walt Disney Company. The channel usually shows modern family programs which are aimed for everyone. However, their shows and movies are aimed at teenage girls and young women (age 15-30). ABC Family also offers other shows from other channels.
ABC Family was founded in 1977. It was first an extension of Pat Robertson's Christian television ministry. It later became The Family Channel in 1990. In 1998, it was sold to Fox Kids. They renamed the channel Fox Family. On October 24, 2001, Fox Family Channel and Fox Family Worldwide were sold to The Walt Disney Company.
Programming[change | edit source]
Network slogans[change | edit source]
- "Stay with Us" (1977–1985; as CBN Satellite Service and CBN Cable)
- "Just Watch Us" (1985–1988; as CBN Cable)
- "Together, We're Family" (1988–1991; as The CBN Family Channel)
- "The Greatest in the Family" (1991–1995; as The Family Channel)
- "There's Nothing Stronger" (1995–1996)
- "Just Watch Us Now!" (1996–1998)
- "You Belong" (1998–2000; as Fox Family)
- "It's Electric" (2000–2001)
- "Everything You Want to Know from A to Z" (2001–2003; as ABC Family)
- "It's All About You" (2003–2006)
- "A New Kind of Family" (2006–present)
References[change | edit source]
- "Fox Family Worldwide Inc". Saban. http://www.saban.com/html/invest/fox.html. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- Katz, Richard (July 10, 1998). "Fox Family squeezes 'Club' in youthful sked". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117478323.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&query=. Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- "News Corp. and Haim Saban Reach Agreement to Sell Fox Family Worldwide to Disney for $5.3 Billion". Saban. July 23, 2001. Archived from the original on 2 February 2009. http://www.saban.com/html/press/010723.html. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- DiOrio, Carl (October 24, 2001). "Fox Family costs Mouse less cheese in final deal". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117854788.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&query=. Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- CBN Logo, YouTube
- CBN--TV Aircheck From The Mid 1980's, YouTube
- CBN Family Channel" (now ABC Family) Sign-Off from Summer 1989, YouTube