ABC Kids (US)
||This page or section needs to be cleaned up. (September 2010)|
ABC Kids is a television programing block which broadcasts several different children series on the ABC television network. These series are all owned by Disney, which owns ABC. Most of them are also shown on Disney's own network Disney Channel. ABC Kids used to be called Disney's One Saturday Morning.
ABC Kids ended on August 27, 2011. On September 3, 2011 the block was replaced with Litton's Weekend Adventure.
On September 13, 1997, Disney's One Saturday Morning started out as a two hour block on the ABC Saturday Morning lineup, and aired some of the shows that aired on it. In 1999, it was extended to 5 hours. On September 6, 1999, a spin-off, Disney's One Too, aired on UPN and in syndication every weekday in the morning or afternoon and Sunday morning. One Saturday Morning' last aired on September 7, 2002.
On September 14, 2002, Disney renamed One Saturday Morning to ABC Kids. The block originally contained new programs, but by the end, all of ABC Kids programs became repeats of Disney Channel originals.
Power Rangers was previously aired on Fox Kids until halfway through the Wild Force season, when Power Rangers moved to ABC Kids for the 2002 Fall season due to the Fox Family Channel/Saban Entertainment purchase by Disney in 2001. Starting with the episode "Unfinished Business", the remainder of the Wild Force season premiered on ABC Kids. During its time on both Fox Kids and ABC Kids the entire Wild Force season also reran later on ABC Family (in part both prior to the introduction of and during the ABC Family Action Block). The following Ninja Storm season also premiered on ABC Kids and then reran later on the ABC Family Action Block. The Dino Thunder, S.P.D., Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury seasons were all premiered on Jetix and then reran on ABC Kids. The RPM season and broadcasts of the first season of Mighty Morphin, newly re-versioned, aired exclusively on ABC Kids.
Power Rangers ended its run on ABC Kids on August 28, 2010, nationwide due to Haim Saban having bought back the intellectual rights to the franchise from Disney and giving airing rights to Nickelodeon in May 2010. Airings ended slightly earlier on August 14, 2010, on West coast affiliates due to a two-week preemption caused by the 2010 Little League World Series and the E/I recovery that resulted from it. On September 4, 2010, the hour held by Power Rangers was returned to the local affiliates. After its completion on ABC Kids, Power Rangers moved to Nickelodeon. All new seasons (starting with the Samurai season) began to premiere on the main Nickelodeon channel on February 7, 2011. Repeats of new seasons and all previous seasons began airing on Nicktoons on February 11, 2011.
With the rise of federally-mandated E/I programming guidelines, some of the network's affiliate groups, primarily Hearst Television and Allbritton Communications, refused to carry any show that did not fulfill E/I requirements (such as Kim Possible or the Power Rangers series during their time on ABC Kids) in order to instead free up time to air locally produced programming. However, some stations time shifted these shows either to very early in the morning Saturday or to Sunday, often before local news, Good Morning America and/or that week's "live" portion of the ABC Kids block began.
ABC Kids was aired for the final time on August 27, 2011. After that, ABC discontinued airing animated programming, making it the first not to air animated programs since September 1992, when NBC stopped airing animated programs to make room for TNBC.
Litton's Weekend Adventure[change]
On May 24, 2011, ABC announced that it had reached a deal with broadcast syndication production company Litton Entertainment to produce original content for the Saturday morning block. The Litton's Weekend Adventure block launched on September 3, 2011, replacing ABC Kids.
Disney's One Saturday Morning programming[change]
- "Webs roll out season geared to kids". Variety. August 29, 1997. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1116678415.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&query=. Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- "Mouse brands UPN kidvid". Variety. July 19, 1999. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117743063.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&query=. Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- "Kid skeds tread on joint strategy". Variety. September 29, 2002. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117873477.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&query=. Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- Littleton, Cynthia (May 12, 2010). "Saban re-acquires rights to 'Rangers'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019212.html?categoryid=14&cs=1. Retrieved May 12, 2010.
- "ABC Orders Saturday Kids Block From Litton". TVNewsCheck. May 24, 2011. http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/2011/05/24/51447/abc-orders-saturday-kids-block-from-litton. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- Albiniak, Paige (May 24, 2011). "ABC to Premiere Litton's Weekend Adventure on Sept. 3". Broadcasting & Cable. http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/468736-ABC_to_Premiere_ABC_Weekend_Adventure_on_Sept_3.php. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- "Litton Announces "ABC Weekend Adventure"". BusinessWire. May 24, 2011. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110524007282/en/Litton-Announces-ABC-Weekend-Adventure. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- Official website
- Disney's One Saturday Morning official site
- Blast From The Past 1990s ABC
- A Tribute to Disney's One Saturday Morning