|Alhambra, Generalife and Albayzín, Granada *|
|Criteria||i, iii, iv|
|Region **||Europe and North America|
|Inscription||1984 (8th Session)|
|* Name as inscribed on World Heritage List
** Region as classified by UNESCO
The Alhambra (from Arabic الْحَمْرَاء = Al-Ħamrā', literally "the red one"; the complete name was الْقَلْعَةُ ٱلْحَمْرَاءُ = al-Qal'at al-Ħamrā' = "the red fortress") is a palace and fortress complex of the Moorish rulers of Granada in southern Spain (known as Al-Andalus when the fortress was constructed during the mid 14th century), occupying a hilly terrace on the southeastern border of the city of Granada.
In the Middle Ages the Alhambra was the residence of the Muslim rulers of Granada and their court, now it is one of Spain's major tourist attractions. There one can see the most famous Islamic architecture of the coutry. Within the Alhambra, the Palace of Charles V was erected by Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor in 1527. Coordinates:
The Muslim rulers lost Granada and Alhambra in 1492 without the fortress itself being attacked when King Ferdinand II of Aragon and Queen Isabella of Castile took the surrounding region with an overwhelming force of numbers.
Detail looking up wall, Golden Room patio
Related pages [change]
- Lowney, Chris. A Vanished World: Medieval Spain’s Golden Age of Enlightenment. New York: Simon and Schuster, Inc., 2005.
|This article includes text from the public domain 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica. Please add to the article as needed.|
Other websites [change]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Alhambra|
- Patronato de la Alhambra y Generalife. Official web page of the Alhambra
- Patronato de la Alhambra y Generalife. Official web page for particular clients
- BBC Four documentary — Art in Islamic Spain
- Article about Alhambra as one of the 21 candidates shortlisted for the New 7 Wonders of the World
- Alhambra in turgranada.es Official site for tourism of the province of Granada
- Photos of Alhambra
- Alhambra Architectural Review
- Photos and text at greatbuildings.com
- Alhambra - information on garden history and design
- Detailed study with photos of the Alhambra Granada
- Google maps satellite image
- Article with English translations of the poems on the walls of Alhambra*
- "The Alhambra". Architecture. Victoria and Albert Museum. http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/architecture/alternating_currents/collections/alhambra/index.html. Retrieved 2007-10-20.
- Washington Irving's Tales of the Alhambra
- Panoramic virtual tour of Alhambra
- Large photo collection of the Alhambra and palaces