An analog-to-digital converter (abbreviated ADC, A/D or A to D) is an electronic integrated circuit that converts a continuous quantity to a discrete time digital number. An ADC may also provide an isolated measurement. The reverse operation is performed by a digital-to-analog converter (DAC).
Typically, an ADC is an electronic device that converts an input analog voltage or current to a digital number. The size of the number grows with an increase in the input voltage or current. However, some non-electronic or only partially electronic devices, such as rotary encoders, can also be considered ADCs.
References[change | change source]
- Allen, Phillip E.; Holberg, Douglas R., CMOS Analog Circuit Design,
- Kester, Walt, ed. (2005), The Data Conversion Handbook, Elsevier: Newnes,
- Johns, David; Martin, Ken, Analog Integrated Circuit Design,
- Knoll, Glenn F. (1989), Radiation Detection and Measurement (2nd ed.), New York: John Wiley & Sons, pp. 665–666
- Liu, Mingliang, Demystifying Switched-Capacitor Circuits,
- Nicholson, P. W. (1974), Nuclear Electronics, New York: John Wiley & Sons, pp. 315–316
- Norsworthy, Steven R.; Schreier, Richard; Temes, Gabor C. (1997), Delta-Sigma Data Converters, IEEE Press,
- Razavi, Behzad (1995), Principles of Data Conversion System Design, New York, NY: IEEE Press,
- Staller, Len (February 24, 2005), "Understanding analog to digital converter specifications", Embedded Systems Design, http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60403334
- Walden, R. H. (1999), "Analog-to-digital converter survey and analysis", IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 17 (4): 539–550,
More websites[change | change source]
|The English Wikibooks has more information on:|
- Counting Type ADC A simple tutorial showing how to build your first ADC.
- An Introduction to Delta Sigma Converters A very nice overview of Delta-Sigma converter theory.
- Digital Dynamic Analysis of A/D Conversion Systems through Evaluation Software based on FFT/DFT Analysis RF Expo East, 1987
- Which ADC Architecture Is Right for Your Application? article by Walt Kester
- AN71 - The Care and Feeding of High Performance ADCs Real world circuit and layout advice
- ADC and DAC Glossary Defines commonly used technical terms.
- Signal processing and system aspects of time-interleaved ADCs.
- Introduction to ADC in AVR - Analog to digital conversion with Atmel microcontrollers