Jolie at the Cannes premiere of The Tree of Life in May 2011
|Born||Angelina Jolie Voight
June 4, 1975 
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Citizenship||United States, Cambodia, Sarajevo (honorary)|
|Occupation||Actress, film director, screenwriter|
|Years active||1982; 1991–present|
|Relatives||James Haven (brother)
Chip Taylor (uncle)
Angelina Jolie (// joh-LEE, born Angelina Jolie Voight; June 4, 1975) is an American actress, movie producer, screenwriter, and author. She is the daughter of John Voight, who is also an actor and former actress/model Marcheline Bertrand. Her full name is Angelina Jolie Voight, but she decided to go by Angelina Jolie. She grew up in Los Angeles and attended the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute. She began acting at about 12 years old, and since then has starred in many movies, including the Tomb Raider movies. She has also been in the movies Hackers, Gathering Evidence (U.S. title), and Gone in Sixty Seconds.
Early life[change | change source]
She was born in Los Angeles, California. She is the daughter of actors Jon Voight and Marcheline Bertrand. She is the sister of actor James Haven, niece of singer-songwriter Chip Taylor, and goddaughter of actors Jacqueline Bisset and Maximilian Schell. On her father's side, Jolie is of German and Slovak descent, and on her mother's side, she is of primarily French Canadian, Dutch, and German ancestry. Like her mother, Jolie has stated that she is part Iroquois, although her only known Native American ancestor was a Huron woman born in 1649.
Career[change | change source]
Jolie played her first leading role in the 1993 movie Cyborg 2. In 1999 Jolie played Lisa Rowe in Girl, Interrupted.
Awards[change | change source]
Marriage and family[change | change source]
She has three adopted children. She lives with actor Brad Pitt. Pitt and Angelina are called 'Brangelina' by the media. They have three biological children. On May 27, 2006, Jolie gave birth to a girl, Shiloh. In 2008, she also gave birth to twins, Vivienne Marcheline and Knox Leon.
Personal life[change | change source]
She said in May 2013 that she had undergone a preventive double mastectomy after learning she had an 87% risk of getting breast cancer. Jolie has a defective BRCA1 gene resulting in a higher risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Jolie said she might have her ovaries removed to prevent having cancer.
References[change | change source]
- "Monitor". Entertainment Weekly (1209/1210): pp. 35. Jun 1/8, 2012.
- "Angelina Jolie: Born to be Lara". BBC News. 2001-07-03. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/1418557.stm. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- Reitwiesner, William Addams. "Ancestry of Angelina Jolie". William Addams Reitwiesner Genealogical Services. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Is Jon Voight Slovak?". University of Pittsburgh. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Angie overdoes the bad girl act". The Daily Telegraph. October 2, 2001. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Ditto blasts bisexual Jolie
- AP. It's a boy and a girl for Jolie and Pitt. MSNBC.com. July 13, 2008. Accessed September 8, 2008.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Angelina Jolie|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Angelina Jolie|