An antagonist is the character in a story who has evil intent. The antagonist(s) is the opposing character to a protagonist, which are the characters that have good intent. Antagonists normally have reasoning for committing acts of evil. Though it is rare, it is possible for an antagonist to be an evil doer committing acts of which a protagonist might through acts which may seem evil, which throw off most readers and characters of a story.
Some examples of main antagonists are:
- In the anime Inuyasha, Naraku is the main antagonist.
- In the Saw series, John Kramer (or Jigsaw) is the antagonist in the majority of the films.
- In the Disney film The Lion King, Scar is the main antagonist of the first movie. In the second movie titled "Lion King 2: Simba's Pride", Zira is the antagonist.
- In the Halloween film franchise, Michael Myers serves as the antagonist for the majority of the franchise
- In the Nightmare on Elm Street films, Freddy Krueger is the main antagonist.
- In the Jaws movies, the antagonist is a giant man eating shark.
A secondary antagonist is an evil doer who serves to a main antagonist, or a character who is a minor enemy of the protaganist. This does not, however, mean that this character is nessacerily evil, just annoying or against the hero or heorine.