Ashe County, North Carolina
|Ashe County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
North Carolina's location in the U.S.
427 sq mi (1,106 km²)
1 sq mi (3 km²), 0.15%
57/sq mi (22/km²)
Native Americans used to live in Ashe County. Pieces of broken pottery, arrowheads, and other Native American things have been found in the county.
In 1849, the southwestern part of Ashe County was combined with parts of Caldwell County, Wilkes County, and Yancey County to make Watauga County. In 1859, the eastern part of Ashe County became Alleghany County.
Cities and towns [change]
These cities and towns are in Ashe County:
Connected counties [change]
These counties are connected to Ashe County:
- Grayson County, Virginia - north
- Alleghany County, North Carolina - east
- Wilkes County, North Carolina - southeast
- Watauga County, North Carolina - southwest
- Johnson County, Tennessee - west