Sri Lanka Matha
Mother Sri Lanka
|Capital||Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte
|Government||Unitary republic Democratic Socialist
|-||Prime Minister||D. M. Jayaratne|
|-||Speaker of the House||Chamal Rajapaksa|
|-||Chief Justice||Dr. Shirani Bandaranayake|
|Independence from the United Kingdom|
|-||Dominion (Self rule)||February 4, 1948|
|-||Republic||May 22, 1972|
|-||Total||65,610 km2 (122nd)
25,332 sq mi
|-||2010 estimate||20,238,000 (56th)|
|-||Mid 2010 census||20,653,000|
|GDP (PPP)||2012 estimate|
|-||Total||$158 billion (66th)|
|GDP (nominal)||2012 estimate|
|-||Total||$64 billion (73rd)|
|HDI (2011)|| 0.691
medium · 97th
|Currency||Sri Lankan Rupee (
|Time zone||Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone (UTC+5:30)|
|-||Summer (DST)||not observed (UTC)|
|Date format||dd/mm/yy, dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd (AD)|
|Drives on the||left|
|Internet TLD||.lk, .ලංකා, .இலங்கை|
The Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka (in Sinhala in Tamil) is a tropical island nation off the southeast coast of the Indian subcontinent. The capital of the country is Sri Jayawardanapura while the largest city is Colombo.
National symbols of Sri Lanka[change | edit source]
National animal of Sri Lanka[source?]
Flag[change | edit source]
The Sri Lanka flag is also known as the Lion flag because of the Lion on it. The Lion is holding a sword in its right paw. There is a crimson background with four leaves in each corner. There is a yellow border. On the left of the flag there are the colors green and saffron. The lion represents bravery. The four leaves represents Karuna, Meththa, Muditha and Upeksha. The orange stripe represents the Sri Lankan Tamils and the green stripe represents the Sri Lankan Moors.
Provinces[change | edit source]
Sri Lanka has 9 provinces.
Related pages[change | edit source]
- List of rivers of Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka at the Olympics
- Sri Lanka national football team
- History of Sri Lanka
- Burning of Jaffna library
Other websites[change | edit source]
Dictionary definitions from Wiktionary
Textbooks from Wikibooks
Quotations from Wikiquote
Source texts from Wikisource
Images and media from Commons
News stories from Wikinews
Images and media from Wikiversity
Images and media from Wikispecies
- "Sri Lanka at a Glance". Sri Lanka Board of Tourism. http://srilanka.travel/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=46. Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- "Sri Lanka: Parliament History". The Official Website of the Government of Sri Lanka. 24 November 2011. http://www.priu.gov.lk/Parliament/ParliamentHistory.html. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- Department of Economic and Social Affairs Population Division (2009) (PDF). World Population Prospects, Table A.1. 2008 revision. United Nations. http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/wpp2008/wpp2008_text_tables.pdf. Retrieved 12 March 2009.
- "Estimated mid year population by sex and district - 2010" (PDF). Department of Census and Statistics - Sri Lanka. http://www.statistics.gov.lk/PopHouSat/Mid%20Year%20Population/midyearsex%20&district.pdf. Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- "Report for Selected Countries and Subjects: Sri Lanka". International Monetary Fund. April 2011. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2011/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2009&ey=2016&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&pr1.x=95&pr1.y=12&c=524&s=NGDP_R%2CNGDP_RPCH%2CNGDP%2CNGDPD%2CNGDP_D%2CNGDPRPC%2CNGDPPC%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CPPPSH%2CPPPEX%2CNID_NGDP%2CNGSD_NGDP%2CPCPI%2CPCPIPCH%2CPCPIE%2CPCPIEPCH%2CTM_RPCH%2CTMG_RPCH%2CTX_RPCH%2CTXG_RPCH%2CTXGO%2CTMGO%2CLUR%2CLP%2CGGR%2CGGR_NGDP%2CGGX%2CGGX_NGDP%2CGGXCNL%2CGGXCNL_NGDP%2CNGDP_FY%2CBCA%2CBCA_NGDPD&grp=0&a=. Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- "Human Development Report 2011. Human development index trends: Table 1" (PDF). United Nations Development Programme. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2011_EN_Complete.pdf. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Flag of Sri Lanka. (2010, July 29). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 00:16, September 16, 2010, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Flag_of_Sri_Lanka&oldid=376106629
- Official web portal of the Government of Sri Lanka
- Office of the President of Sri Lanka
- Ministry of Defence, Sri Lanka
- Central Bank of Sri Lanka
- World Terrorism Blog On Sri Lanka
- The Official Website of Sri Lanka Tourist Board
- Sri Lanka Travel Guide and Country Reference
- Lonely Planet Destination Guide- Sri Lanka
- Ministry of Tourism
- Board of Investment of Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Export Development Board
- Colombo Stock Exchange
- Sri Lankan Business Directory
- Virtual Library Sri Lanka
- The CIA World Factbook - Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka - UNESCO World Heritage Centre
- Collection of slides of Sri Lanka, University of Pennsylvania library
- NIGHANTAYA | The Environment Friendly E Community | Sri Lanka