From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|— Town —|
|Barbour County and the state of Alabama|
|• Total||5.5 sq mi (14.1 km2)|
|• Land||5.5 sq mi (14.1 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||591 ft (180 m)|
|• Density||268.2/sq mi (104.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0116206|
Clayton is located at 31°52'39.014" North, 85°26'56.486" West (31.877504, -85.449024).
Clayton is served by Barbour County Schools. Barbour County High School and Barbour County Primary School are located in the town of Clayton.
Notable natives [change]
- Tyrone 'Ty' Adams (born 1949) - playwright (Conecuh,Wallace: The Clayton Years)
- George W. Andrews (1906–1971) - U.S. House of Representatives
- Billy Beasley (born 1940)- Alabama State Senate
- Jere Beasley (born 1935)- Two term Lieutenant Governor of Alabama and acting Governor of Alabama
- Bertram Tracy Clayton (1862–1918)- U.S. House of Representatives representing New York and U.S. Army officer killed in World War I.
- Henry De Lamar Clayton, Jr. (1857–1929) - U.S. House of Representatives, author of the Clayton Act regulating antitrust behavior.
- Henry DeLamar Clayton, Sr. (1827–1889) - major general in the Confederate army; President of the University of Alabama
- Preston C. Clayton (d. 1996)- Alabama State Senate and Associate Justice of State of Alabama Supreme Court
- Travis Grant (born 1950) - college and professional basketball player
- Draffus Lamar Hightower (1899–1993)- photographer, reocrded changes to Barbour County through the 20th century
- Clarence Clemet Hodge (1893–1967) - Major League Baseball pitcher
- John E. Horne (1908–1985) - Administrator of the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Ann Lowe (1899–1981)- Designer of wedding dress for Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis for her marriage to John F. Kennedy.
- James Sammons (1927–2001) - Chairman of the Board of Trustees and later Executive Vice Presidentof the American Medical Association
- George Wallace (1919–1998) - Governor of Alabama and U.S. President candidate
- George C. Wallace, Jr. (born 1951) - Alabama State Treasurer
- Lurleen Wallace (1926–1968) - Governor of Alabama 1926-1968
- James J. Winn (born 1907- ?) - Colonel in U.S. Army; Chief military aide to Gen. George C. Marshall during World War II
- "Fact Sheet: Clayton town, Alabama". American Fact Finder. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_event=Search&geo_id=&_geoContext=&_street=&_county=clayton&_cityTown=clayton&_state=04000US01&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010&show_2003_tab=&redirect=Y. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2000 and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2005-05-03. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Comparison Table- Alabama". American Fact Finder. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=04000US01&-_box_head_nbr=GCT-PH1&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&-format=ST-7. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- To Remember a Vanishing World: D.L. Hightower's Photography of Barbour County, Alabama, 1930 - 1965. Thomason, Michael V.R. and Michael Thomason,University of Alabama Press (1997) ISBN 0-945477-11-2