From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computing, a protocol or communication protocol is a set of rules in which computers communicate with each other. The protocol says what part of the conversation comes at which time. It also says how to end the communication.
- Types of Protocol
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), is used for accessing and receiving Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) files on the internet.
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), is used for transferring e-mail between computers.
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP), is used for showing files to be copied between devices.
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), ensures the delivery of information packets across networks.
- Internet Protocol (IP), is responsible for logical addressing called "IP address" to route information between networks.
- Ripple (payment protocol) (XRP), is used for sending money through the internet.
Other pages[change | edit source]
- Internet protocol suite
- List of network protocols
- Application programming interface
- Calling convention