|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Port of registry:||Genoa, Italy|
|Ordered:||19 January 2004|
|Builder:||Fincantieri Sestri Ponente, Italy|
|Launched:||2 September 2005|
|Christened:||7 July 2006|
|Acquired:||30 June 2006|
|Maiden voyage:||14 July 2006|
|In service:||July 2006|
|Out of service:||13 January 2012|
|Status:||Capsized off Isola del Giglio, Italy|
|Class and type:||Concordia class cruise ship|
|Length:||290.20 m (952 ft 1 in)|
|Beam:||35.50 m (116 ft 6 in)|
|Draught:||8.20 m (26 ft 11 in)|
|Installed power:||6 × Wärtsilä diesel engines, 75,600 kilowatts (101,400 hp)|
service: 21.5 knots (39.8 km/h; 24.7 mph)maximum: 23 knots (43 km/h; 26 mph)
She is the first vessel of the Concordia ship class, with sisters Costa Serena, Costa Pacifica, Costa Favolosa, Costa Fascinosa and Carnival Splendor built for Carnival Cruise Lines. Costa Concordia entered service in July 2006 and was one of the largest ships to be built in Italy, at 114,500 GT. The later Carnival Dream class weighed 130,000 GRT, and are also built in Fincantieri.
On 22 November 2008, Costa Concordia suffered damage to her bow when high winds over the Sicilian city of Palermo pushed the ship against its dock. There were no injuries and repairs started soon after.
On 13 January 2012, the Costa Concordia ran aground and partially sank on the western coast of Italy just off the shore of Isola del Giglio. Of the 4,200 passengers and crew, at least eleven people were killed, including ten passengers and one crew member and 23 still missing. The situation is still ongoing. People were angry with the ship's captain because he left the ship. He was supposed to stay on the ship and help the other passengers get off safely. The captain's "error" took the ship off of its programmed route.
References[change | edit source]
- "Italy cruise ship Costa Concordia aground near Giglio". BBC. 14 January 2012. Archived from the original on 14 January 2012. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16558910. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- Eva Herzigova to be the Godmother of Costa Concordia
- Fincantieri (19 January 2004). "Costa Crociere Orders A New Ship From Fincantieri With An Investment Of Around 450 Million Euros". Press release. http://www.fincantieri.it/cms/data/browse/news/000161.aspx. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Company Profile". Costa Cruises. 2011. http://www.costacruisesasia.com/B2C/PAO/Corporate/The+company/aboutourselves/aboutourselves.htm. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Costa Concordia. Costa Cruises. Retrieved 12 May 2010
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Carnival Concordia". VesselTracker. 2011. http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Costa-Concordia-9320544.html. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "Malta on new liner's itinerary". The Times of Malta. 19 September 2005. Archived from the original on 15 January 2012. http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20050919/local/malta-on-new-liners-itinerary.77802. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- "3 bodies recovered, many people missing after luxury boat runs aground in Italy". The New York Post. Associated Press. 14 January 2012. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/three_coast_several_missing_after_Ztwzh4pOyI28VzooFByOnM/2. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Cruise liner damaged after leaving Malta". The Times of Malta. 23 November 2008. http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20081123/local/cruise-liner-damaged-after-leaving-malta.234247. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Costa Concordia Itinerary". ToBeATravelAgent. 19 January 2012. Archived from the original on 19 January 2012. http://www.tobetravelagent.com/costa-concordia-itinerary-route/. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Costa Concordia: Captain Arrested, 41 Missing After Italy Cruise Ship Disaster" (IBT)
- "Italy probes sinking of cruise ship Costa Concordia". BBC News. 14 January 2012. Archived from the original on 15 January 2012. http://www.webcitation.org/64hLyP5kH. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- "Officials cites captain's 'error'". Washington Post: p. A8. January 17, 2012.
Other websites[change | edit source]
- Costa Concordia - Costa Cruises
- Last registered track and speed (on google maps)
- Slideshow of capsized ship
- See the exact location and pictures of the capsized ship
- Rome newspaper nautical chart and satellite photo.
- Flickr Blog January 16th 2012 : Costa Concordia run aground off the Italian coast.
- US NOAA Nautical Chart of Area.
- Blog with many charts and radar data.
- Were the Crew of the Costa Concordia Lost in Translation?