Deftones performing at the Brixton Academy in 2007
|Genres||Alternative metal, experimental rock|
Deftones is an American alternative metal band from Sacramento, California. Deftones has five members in the band; the current band members are Chino Moreno, Stephen Carpenter, Abe Cunningham, Frank Delgado and Sergio Vega.
The band was formed in 1988. They released their debut album Adrenaline on October 3, 1995. The song "Elite" from their third studio album, "White Pony" won a Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance in 2001. The band has been noted for influencing bands like Muse, Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Seether, System of a Down, Fightstar, 10 Years as well as many other bands.
On November 4, 2008, the band's bassist Chi Cheng was involved in a car accident which seriously injured him. The band brought in another bassist named Sergio Vega to replace him during his absence. Cheng died on April 13, 2013 after his heart stopped.
Band members[change | change source]
- Chino Moreno - lead vocals, guitar (1988–present)
- Stephen Carpenter - guitar (1988-present)
- Abe Cunningham - drums (1988-present)
- Frank Delgado - turntables, keyboards, samples (2000–present)
- Sergio Vega - bass guitar, backing vocals (1999, 2009–present) (filling in for Cheng)
- Chi Cheng - bass, backing vocals (1988–2013) (†)
Discography[change | change source]
Studio albums[change | change source]
- Adrenaline (1995)
- Around the Fur (1997)
- White Pony (2000)
- Deftones (2003)
- Saturday Night Wrist (2006)
- Diamond Eyes (2010)
- Koi No Yokan (2012)
Compilation albums[change | change source]
Demos[change | change source]
- (Like) Linus (1993)
EPs[change | change source]
Video albums[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Deftones Bassist In Coma After Car Crash". http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003886939#/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003886939.
- "Deftones Bassist Chi Cheng Dead At 42". blabbermouth.net. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=188708. Retrieved 2013-04-13.