|Supposed self-portrait, from Adoration of the Magi, 1488|
|Died||11 January 1494
Florence, Italy (buried in the church of Santa Maria Novella)
|Works||Paintings in: Church of Ognissanti in Florence, Palazzo Vecchio, Santa Trinita, Tornabuoni Chapel in Florence and Sistine Chapel, Rome|
Domenico Ghirlandaio 1449 – 11 January 1494) was an Italian painter. He painted during the Renaissance (about 1400-1600) in Florence. He was an important painter in the time of the Renaissance. In about 1480, he became the official portrait artist for wealthy people in Florence.
Domenico had a large painting workshop. His brothers David Ghirlandaio and Benedetto Ghirlandaio and his brother-in-law Sebastiano Mainardi worked with him. His son Ridolfo Ghirlandaio also was a painter.
Biography[change | change source]
Ghirlandaio died in 1494 of an contagious fever and was buried in Santa Maria Novella. The day and month of his birth and death are not known, but he died in early January of his forty-fifth year. He had been married two times and had six children. One of his three sons, Ridolfo Ghirlandaio, also became a noted painter in Florence 
Works[change | change source]
Other pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Domenico Ghirlandio". Web Gallery of Art. https://simple.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Domenico_Ghirlandaio&action=edit. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Domenico Ghirlandaio|
- Official website , 122 works by Domenico Ghirlandaio
- ghirlandaio.it, Museums and exhibitions in Florence
- Web Gallery of Art
- Ghirlandaio in Panopticon Virtual Art Gallery
- Ghirlandaio's Cappella Sassetti Frescoes
- Where to find Ghirlandaio's works in Florence