Exalead provides thumbnails previews of the target pages along with results, and allows usual advanced refining on the results page (language, geographic location, file type, categories) but also innovative refining such as rich content (audio, video, RSS) and related terms, allowing users to browse the web by serendipity.
Exalead[change | edit source]
- the prefix exa which means 1018 (used as a generic term for size, to imply large coverage of pages)
- and the verb lead (as the customer is led through the search options)
Exalead tries to integrate research functions in one piece of software, combining Internet, desktop and enterprise functionality.
Exalead.com specific features[change | edit source]
Exalead attempts to add value to search results by displaying statistics and information about the results along the left-hand side of the page. This includes categorical and geographical information. Exalead's features include:
- Proximity search supporting the NEAR operator
- Nested search expressions
- Specific search
- by geographic location
- by language
- by file type.
- Additional word suggestions
- Phonetic search is also available, which can be used when the orthography is not known
- Search within results
- Audio, video and RSS search (in the preview also pictures)
On 2nd March 2006, exalead.com indexed more than 4 billion pages. The interface is available in four languages (English, French, German and Chinese).
On 2nd August 2006, Exalead launched the beta of its new interface, which is the default interface since the middle of October. The Chinese language has been removed again, Spanish and Italian were added instead - more languages will come soon.
The index size is 8 billion pages (8,079,622,557 pages at 10 October 2006, 15:54 GMT).