Exodus in 2011
|Labels||Torrid, Capitol, Century Media, Nuclear Blast|
|Associated acts||Generation Kill, Blind Illusion, Sepultura, Metallica, Possessed, Testament, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Piranha, White Zombie|
Exodus is an American thrash metal band from Richmond, California. Exodus has five members in the band; the current band members are Rob Dukes, Gary Holt, Lee Altus, Jack Gibson and Tom Hunting. Former guitarist Rick Hunolt is currently touring with Exodus and filling in for Gary Holt while Holt is filling in for Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman while he is recovering from Necrotizing fasciitis after being bit by a spider.
Career[change | edit source]
The band was formed in 1980 by band member Tom Hunting and now-former band members Kirk Hammett, Tim Agnello, Carlton Melson and Keith Stewart. The band is named after the 1985 novel, Exodus by Leon Uris.
Tim Agnello was later replaced with Gary Holt who has stayed in the band since. Kirk Hammett left in 1983 to join now-famous thrash metal band Metallica, and was eventually replaced by Rick Hunolt. Carlton Melson was eventually replaced by Rob McKillop, with Keith Stewart being replaced by Paul Baloff. With these members They released their debut album, Bonded by Blood, on April 25, 1985, which is considered by many listeners to be the band's best album.
They then fired Paul Baloff and replaced him with Steve 'Zetro' Souza, and released two more albums, Pleasures Of The Flesh and Fabulous Disaster until signing to a major label and replacing Tom Hunting with John Tempesta. The band then released the album Impact Is Imminent, which was considered a disappointing album compared to Fabulous Disaster. Rob McKillop was replaced with Michael Butler and the band then released Force Of Habit. The songs on this album were a little slower than their previous songs. After touring for this album, Exodus broke-up as thrash metal was becoming less popular.
Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt reformed Exodus in 1997 and brought back members Tom Hunting and Paul Baloff, as well as adding new member Jack Gibson. They played shows throughout the year and released a live album called Another Lesson In Violence, and broke up again in 1998.
The band reformed again in 2001 with the same members as the previous reunion. Paul Baloff died from a stroke in 2002. Some people believed Exodus would break up again because of this. Instead, Steve Souza was invited to rejoin the band, and they released the Tempo of The Damned album in 2004 with his vocals.
Over a year, three members were replaced. Steve Souza left the band whilst they were touring in South America and was replaced with Rob Dukes. Rick Hunolt left to concentrate on his family life and was replaced with Lee Altus. Tom Hunting left due to nervous problems that made him leave in 1989 after the Fabulous Disaster album, and was replaced with Paul Bostaph.
Their first album since these replacements was Shovel Headed Kill Machine, in 2007, Paul Bostaph left and Tom Hunting returned to the band again, before releasing another album, The Atrocity Exhibition...Exhibit A. In 2008, the band re-recorded the songs from the Bonded By Blood album and released them on an album called Let There Be Blood. In 2010, the band released their next and most recent album, Exhibit B: The Human Condition.
Band members[change | edit source]
- Gary Holt – guitars (1980–1993, 1997–1998, 2001–present)
- Rob Dukes – vocals (2005–present)
- Lee Altus – guitars (2005–present)
- Jack Gibson – bass (1997–1998, 2001–present)
- Tom Hunting – drums (1980–1989, 1997–1998, 2001–2004, 2007–present)
- On tour with the band
- Rick Hunolt - guitars (2012-present) (a full time member during the following time periods. 1983-1993, 1997-1998, 2001-2005)
- Paul Baloff - vocals (1982–1986, 1997–1998, 2001–2002)
- Steve Souza - vocals (1986–1993, 2002–2004)
- Steev Esquivel - vocals (2004)
- Kirk Hammett - guitars (1980–1983)
- Tim Agnello - guitar (1980)
- Mike Maung - guitar (1983)
- Carlton Melson - bass (1980)
- Jeff Andrews - bass (1980-1983)
- Doug Williams - bass (1985-1986)
- Rob McKillop - bass (1983–1991)
- Michael Butler - bass (1992–1993)
- John Tempesta - drums (1989–1993)
- Paul Bostaph - drums (2005–2007)
Discography[change | edit source]
So far as of 2012, Exodus have released 10 albums:
Albums[change | edit source]
- Bonded by Blood (1985)
- Pleasures of the Flesh (1987)
- Fabulous Disaster (1988)
- Impact Is Imminent (1990)
- Force of Habit (1992)
- Tempo of the Damned (2004)
- Shovel Headed Kill Machine (2005)
- The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A (2007)
- Let There Be Blood (2008)
- Exhibit B: The Human Condition (2010)