Francisco J. Ayala
|Francisco J. Ayala|
|Born||12 March 1934 
|Institutions||University of California, Irvine|
|Alma mater||University of Salamanca, Columbia University|
|Known for||Population genetics|
|Notable awards||National Medal of Science, Templeton Prize|
After graduating from the University of Salamanca, he moved to the US in 1961 to study for a PhD at Columbia University. There, he studied for his doctorate under Theodosius Dobzhansky, graduating in 1964. He became a US citizen in 1971.
He has been President and Chairman of the Board of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Books[change | edit source]
Ayala has published 950 papers and 30 books. Recently published books include:
- Ayala F.J. 2010. Am I a monkey? Six big questions about evolution. Johns Hopkins University Press: Baltimore, MD.
- Ayala F.J. and Robert Arp eds. 2009. Contemporary debates in Philosophy of Biology. Wiley-Blackwell: London. ISBN 9781405159982
- Avise J.C. and F.J. Ayala eds. 2007. In the Light of evolution: adaptation and complex design. National Academy Press: Washington DC. ISBN 9780309104050
- Cela Conde C.J. and F.J. Ayala. 2007. Human evolution: trails from the past. Oxford University Press: Oxford.
- Ayala F.J. 2007. Darwin’s gift to science and religion. Joseph Henry Press: Washington, DC.
- Ayala F.J. 2006. Darwin and intelligent design. Fortress Press: Minneapolis, MN.
- Hey J; W.M. Fitch and F.J. Ayala eds. 2005. Systematics and the origin of species. On Ernst Mayr’s 100th Anniversary. National Academies Press: Washington DC. ISBN 0309095360
- Wuketits F.M. and F.J. Ayala eds. 2005. Handbook of evolution: the evolution of living systems (including Hominids), Volume 2. Wiley-VCH: Weinheim, Germany. 292 pp. 2005. ISBN 9783527619719
- Ayala F.J. 2004. Human evolution: biology, culture, ethics. Pearson Education: Upper Saddle River.
References[change | edit source]
- Hall, Brian Keith; Strickberger, Monroe W.; Hallgrímsson, Benedikt (2008). Strickberger's evolution: the integration of genes, organisms and populations. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones and Bartlett. p. 633. ISBN 0-7637-0066-5.
- "Evolution, religion science and faith". Pbs.org. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/religion/faith/statement_01.html. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Dreifus, Claudia (April 27, 1999). "A conversation with Francisco J. Ayala; ex-priest takes the blasphemy out of evolution". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/27/science/conversation-with-francisco-j-ayala-ex-priest-takes-blasphemy-evolution.html. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Richardson, W.; Slack, Gordy (2001). Faith in science: scientists search for truth. London: Routledge. p. 6. ISBN 0-415-25765-4.
- Ayala, Francisco (1976;10:1-6.). "Theodosius Dobzhansky: the man and the scientist". Annual Review of Genetics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/797305?dopt=Abstract. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Dean, Cornelia (April 29, 2008). "Roving defender of evolution, and of room for God". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/science/29prof.html. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- "Biologist Francisco J. Ayala". The Scientist. 5 February 1996. http://www.the-scientist.com/article/display/16880/. Retrieved 2009-04-24.