Francisco J. Ayala
|Francisco J. Ayala|
|Born||12 March 1934 
|Institutions||University of California, Irvine|
|Alma mater||University of Salamanca, Columbia University|
|Known for||Population genetics|
|Notable awards||National Medal of Science, Templeton Prize|
After graduating from the University of Salamanca, he moved to the US in 1961 to study for a PhD at Columbia University. There, he studied for his doctorate under Theodosius Dobzhansky, graduating in 1964. He became a US citizen in 1971.
He has been President and Chairman of the Board of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Ayala has published 950 papers and 30 books. Recently published books include:
- Ayala F.J. 2010. Am I a monkey? Six big questions about evolution. Johns Hopkins University Press: Baltimore, MD.
- Ayala F.J. and Robert Arp eds. 2009. Contemporary debates in Philosophy of Biology. Wiley-Blackwell: London. ISBN 9781405159982
- Avise J.C. and F.J. Ayala eds. 2007. In the Light of evolution: adaptation and complex design. National Academy Press: Washington DC. ISBN 9780309104050
- Cela Conde C.J. and F.J. Ayala. 2007. Human evolution: trails from the past. Oxford University Press: Oxford.
- Ayala F.J. 2007. Darwin’s gift to science and religion. Joseph Henry Press: Washington, DC.
- Ayala F.J. 2006. Darwin and intelligent design. Fortress Press: Minneapolis, MN.
- Hey J; W.M. Fitch and F.J. Ayala eds. 2005. Systematics and the origin of species. On Ernst Mayr’s 100th Anniversary. National Academies Press: Washington DC. ISBN 0309095360
- Wuketits F.M. and F.J. Ayala eds. 2005. Handbook of evolution: the evolution of living systems (including Hominids), Volume 2. Wiley-VCH: Weinheim, Germany. 292 pp. 2005. ISBN 9783527619719
- Ayala F.J. 2004. Human evolution: biology, culture, ethics. Pearson Education: Upper Saddle River.
- Hall, Brian Keith; Strickberger, Monroe W.; Hallgrímsson, Benedikt (2008). Strickberger's evolution: the integration of genes, organisms and populations. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones and Bartlett. p. 633. ISBN 0-7637-0066-5.
- "Evolution, religion science and faith". Pbs.org. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/religion/faith/statement_01.html. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Dreifus, Claudia (April 27, 1999). "A conversation with Francisco J. Ayala; ex-priest takes the blasphemy out of evolution". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/27/science/conversation-with-francisco-j-ayala-ex-priest-takes-blasphemy-evolution.html. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Richardson, W.; Slack, Gordy (2001). Faith in science: scientists search for truth. London: Routledge. p. 6. ISBN 0-415-25765-4.
- Ayala, Francisco (1976;10:1-6.). "Theodosius Dobzhansky: the man and the scientist". Annual Review of Genetics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/797305?dopt=Abstract. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Dean, Cornelia (April 29, 2008). "Roving defender of evolution, and of room for God". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/science/29prof.html. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- "Biologist Francisco J. Ayala". The Scientist. 5 February 1996. http://www.the-scientist.com/article/display/16880/. Retrieved 2009-04-24.