Gears of War
Gears of War, sometimes called Gears, is a third-person shooter videogame developed by Epic Games and published by Microsoft. It was released only for the Xbox 360 in 2006 but was later released for Microsoft Windows.
Gears of War was very successful. It sold three million copies in ten weeks and was the fastest selling video game of 2006. It was the second most played game on the Xbox 360's online service, Xbox Live, in 2006 - only beaten by Halo 3. A film version of the game is currently being made by New Line cinema. The sequel, Gears of War 2, was released in November 2008.
Copy protection [change]
The PC version uses a DRM protection scheme. The certificate needed to play the game is invalid since 2009, Jan 1st, making the game unplayable. Fortunately to the players, the protection can be worked around by simply changing the system date.
- "Gears of War Juggernaut Continues". http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0119-gearsofwarjuggernautcontinues.htm.
- "Microsoft reveals Xbox Live stats". http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ces-2008-microsoft-reveals-xbox-live-stats.
- "New Line nabs 'Gears of War'". http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117961472.html?categoryid=13&cs=1.
- "Gears 2 coming in November". http://kotaku.com/358724/gears-of-war-2-coming-in-november.
Other websites [change]
- Gears of War website (Warning: Contains pictures of in-game violence)