Helmut Schmidt was born in Hamburg in 1918. He finished school in 1937 with the Abitur. Afterwards he had to join the working service and later the army. At the end of World War II, he was a First Lieutenant. He became a prisoner of war in 1945.
After he was set free, he started to study macro economy. He finished his studies in 1949. Then he started to work for the administration of Hamburg.
After Willy Brandt gave up his job as Bundeskanzler, Helmut Schmidt was elected as new chancellor.
References[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Helmut Schmidt|
- Biography at the German Historic Museum (German)
- Chancellor Site (German)
- Helmut Schmidt University (English)
- Die Selbstbehauptung Europas im neuen Jahrhundert (German, 2000)
- Kröten und Paragrafenwahn (German, 2006)
- Schmidt's talk on the occasion of China's Prime Minister Wen Jiabao visiting Hamburg (English, 2006)
- Interview on nuclear strategy in Europe for the WGBH series, War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
- Booknotes interview with Schmidt on Men and Powers, 15 April 1990.