Help:Translate English into Simple English
This page gives tips on how to translate English into Simple English. This is not a complete guide. Please expand and improve as well if you see any mistakes or if you have any other more sensible suggestions.
Specific words[change | change source]
A word in English will be shown and next to it will be the Simple English version. This is in alphabetical order.
- abandon - give up, leave a person or object behind
- continuous - not ending, going on
- contradict - to go against
- expand - to become large
- individual - person (when it means a person: the word individual has other meanings)
- justified - lawful, right
- luminescent - giving light
- obtained - got
- originate - come from
- performed - done
- specific - special
- taken aback - surprised and perhaps shocked
- transfer - move to or change to
- translate - to turn one language into another language or link to Translation
- various - many
Other[change | change source]
- film - movie
- American (United States) - Should be linked to a more specific term, such as United States or Americans because American has other meanings. See the disambiguation page American for other meanings. To use the word American but link to a more specific meaning, use a piped link like this:
Television[change | change source]
Most often these changes are because the term can mean different things. It is better to use terms with only 1 meaning, or less meanings if no term exists with only one. The terms should be linked the first time they are used in an article.