|This article is missing important information.|
|Company / developer||Apple Inc.|
|Programmed in||C, C++, Objective-C|
|OS family||UNIX-like (BSD)|
|Source model||Closed source|
|Initial release||June 29, 2007|
|Latest stable release||
|Latest unstable release||±](July 8, 2013 ) [|
|Available language(s)||34 languages|
|Supported platforms||ARM (iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPad Mini, and 2nd gen. and higher Apple TV), Apple A4, Apple A5, Apple A5X, Apple A6, Apple A6X, Apple A7|
|Kernel type||Hybrid (XNU)|
|Default user interface||Cocoa Touch (multi-touch, GUI)|
|License||Proprietary EULA except for open-source components|
iOS (previously named iPhone OS) is an operating system for mobile devices, made and sold by Apple Inc. It is the default operating system of the iPhone, the iPod Touch, and the iPad. It is Apple's mobile operating system for its iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Apple TV and similar devices. iOS was originally called the iPhone OS but was renamed in 2010 to reflect the operating system’s evolving support for additional Apple devices.
History[change | edit source]
iOS was released in 2007 simply known as OS X for the first generation iPhone. Apple said on January 9, 2007 at a conference that there will be a new product, the iPhone, and it would have a "revolutionary" operation system.
On March 6, 2008 Apple renamed OS X to iPhone OS.
On July 11, 2008, along with the release of the iPhone 3G, Apple released iPhone OS 2 which introduced the App Store.
In June 2009 Apple released iPhone OS 3. It was a minor upgrade to iPhone OS 2 except it could do a few new things. iPhone OS 3 wasn't available for the the first iPhone and iPod Touch and was later available for the iPad when it was released.
In mid-2010, Apple also turned a significant update (version 4.0), which added the ability of multitasking, the option to have a wallpaper for the home screen and gives the user the ability to run several apps at the same time, while the amount of apps are affected by the device's RAM. Not only that but it also had a more polished design and was the first version of iOS to be available for the iPod Touch for free. Unfortunately the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2nd generation have limited features. They can't multitask or have a wallpaper for the home screen.
In October 2011 Apple released iOS 5 with many new features such as the notifications pull-down bar and more. A voice assistant named Siri was also released to the iPhone 4S.
iOS 6 was released on September 21, 2012 with even more features. Siri was released to the iPad 3rd generation and iPod 5th generation. YouTube was removed and a YouTube app was added to the App Store. Google Maps was slso removed and replaced with Apple Maps.
On September 18, 2013, iOS 7 was released with a new look and many features, and a new feature called "Control Center" where you can control basic settings, music, AirPlay, flashlight, and more.
App Store[change | edit source]
One of the most important software (app) in iOS is the App Store. The App Store is an electronic market which gives you the ability to buy "apps", small user interface applications. By January 2013, Apple confirmed to have more than 800,000 applications in the app store.
References[change | edit source]
- "iOS 6.1.3 Software Update". Apple Inc.. 2013-03-19. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1646. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- "iOS 6.1.4 Software Update". Apple Inc.. 2013-05-03. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1652. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "Apple security updates". Apple Inc.. 2013-06-19. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1222. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Apple – iPad 4 – View the technical specifications for iPad 4". Apple. http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- "Apple – iPad mini – View the technical specifications for iPad mini". Apple. http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/. Retrieved October 29, 2012.
- Honan, Matthew (January 9, 2007). "Apple unveils iPhone". Macworld. http://www.macworld.com/article/54769/2007/01/iphone.html. Retrieved January 16, 2010.
- Tartakoff, Joseph (June 7, 2010). "Apple Avoids iPhone-Like Trademark Battle Thanks To Cisco, FaceTime Deals [sic"]. paidContent. http://paidcontent.org/article/419-deja-vu-apples-new-ios-brand-is-already-used-by-cisco/. Retrieved February 2, 2011.
Warning: Default sort key "iOS" overrides earlier default sort key "IOS".