|Company / developer||Apple Inc.|
|Programmed in||C, C++, Objective-C|
|OS family||OS X, Unix|
|Source model||Closed, with open-source components|
|Initial release||June 29, 2007|
|Latest stable release||
|Latest unstable release||±][|
|Available language(s)||34 languages|
|Supported platforms||ARM (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and 2nd gen. and higher, iPad Mini, Apple TV), Apple A4, Apple A5, Apple A5X, Apple A6, Apple A6X|
|Kernel type||Hybrid (XNU)|
|Default user interface||Cocoa Touch (multi-touch, GUI)|
|License||Proprietary EULA except for open-source components|
iOS was released in 2007 simply known as OS X for the first generation iPhone. Apple said on January 9, 2007 at a conference that there will be a new product, the iPhone, and it would have a "revolutionary" operation system.
On March 6, 2008 Apple renamed OS X to iPhone OS.
On July 11, 2008, along with the release of the iPhone 3G, Apple released iPhone OS 2 which introduced the App Store.
In June 2009 Apple released iPhone OS 3 (later iOS 3 after September 2009). It had more advances than iPhone OS 2 such as crop at paste etc. A special version (iOS 3.0.3) was released for the original iPad in April 2010.
In mid-2010, Apple also turned a significant update (version 4.0), which added the ability of multitasking. It gives the user the ability to run several apps at the same time, while the amount of apps are affected by the device's RAM.
And lastly, in October 2011 Apple released iOS 5 with many new features such as the notifications pull-down bar and more.
The latest released version of iOS is 6.0, which was released on September 21, 2012.
App Store [change]
One of the most important software (app) in iOS is the App Store. The App Store is an electronic market which gives you the ability to buy "apps", small user interface applications. By January 2013, Apple confirmed to have more than 800,000 applications in the app store.
- "iOS 6.1.3 Software Update". Apple Inc.. 2013-03-19. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1646. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "Apple – iPad 4 – View the technical specifications for iPad 4". Apple. http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- "Apple – iPad mini – View the technical specifications for iPad mini". Apple. http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/. Retrieved October 29, 2012.
- Honan, Matthew (January 9, 2007). "Apple unveils iPhone". Macworld. http://www.macworld.com/article/54769/2007/01/iphone.html. Retrieved January 16, 2010.
- Tartakoff, Joseph (June 7, 2010). "Apple Avoids iPhone-Like Trademark Battle Thanks To Cisco, FaceTime Deals [sic"]. paidContent. http://paidcontent.org/article/419-deja-vu-apples-new-ios-brand-is-already-used-by-cisco/. Retrieved February 2, 2011.