Infante is a title given to children of the reigning King of Spain. It has also historically been used by Portuguese monarchs before the country became a republic. As it is a title usually used by the children of monarchs, the style of Royal Highness is also used. The female version of the word is Infanta. Fully the style is usually:
- His Royal Highness The Infante Don [name] of Spain/Portugal, or
- Her Royal Highness The Infanta Dona [name] of Spain/Portugal.
Examples of use in Spain[change | change source]
- His Royal Highness The Infante Juan Carlos of Spain. Used the title before becoming King.
- His Royal Highness The Infante Don Luis of Spain. Again used the title before becoming King. He was also known as The Prince of Asturias.
- Her Royal Highness The Infanta Dona Mariana Victoria of Spain.
Examples of use in Portugal[change | change source]
- Her Royal Highness Dona Maria Bárbara de Bragança, Infanta of Portugal. She later became Queen of Spain through marriage.