|Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir MP|
|Prime Minister of Iceland|
1 February 2009
|President||Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson|
|Preceded by||Geir Haarde|
|Minister of Social Affairs and Social Security|
24 May 2007 – 1 February 2009
|Prime Minister||Geir Haarde|
|Preceded by||Magnús Stefánsson (Social Affairs)
Siv Friðleifsdóttir (Health and Social Security)
|Succeeded by||Ásta Ragnheiður Jóhannesdóttir|
8 July 1987 – 24 June 1994
|Prime Minister||Þorsteinn Pálsson
|Preceded by||Alexander Stefánsson|
|Succeeded by||Guðmundur Árni Stefánsson|
|Born||4 October 1942
|Political party||Social Democratic Party (1978–1994)
National Movement (1994–2000)
Social Democratic Alliance (2000–present)
|Spouse(s)||Þorvaldur Steinar Jóhannesson (1970-2002?)
Jónína Leósdóttir (2002-present)
|Children||Two sons (b. 1972 and 1977)
One stepson (b. 1981)
Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir (pronounced jouːhanːa ˈsɪːɣʏrðartouʰtɪr), (born 4 October 1942), is the current Prime Minister of Iceland. She has been a politician for many years. She was Iceland's Minister of Social Affairs and Social Security from 1987–1994 and 2007–2009. She has been a member of the Althing (Iceland's parliament) for Reykjavík constituencies since 1978. She has been re-elected eight times. She became Iceland's first female Prime Minister on 1 February 2009, the world's first openly gay head of government of the modern era.
Jóhanna is a social democrat and Iceland's longest-serving member of Parliament. In the 1990s, when she lost a bid to head the party, she lifted her fist and declared "Minn tími mun koma!" -- "My time will come!" -- a phrase that became a popular Icelandic expression.
- This name is usually spelled in English-language press as Johanna Sigurdardottir.
- Moody, Jonas (2009-01-30). "Iceland Picks the World's First Openly Gay PM". Time. http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1875032,00.html. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- "First gay PM for Iceland cabinet". BBC News. 1 February 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7863923.stm. Retrieved 2009-02-01.
- Peter Popham (29 January 2009), World gets its first gay leader, The Independent, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/world-gets-its-first-gay-leader-1519068.html
- Valur Gunnarsson (30 January 2009), Profile: Johanna Sigurdardottir, The Guardian, http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/30/johanna-sigurdardottir-profile