Roberts at the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo in 2013
|Ring name(s)||Jake Roberts
Jake Smith, Jr.
|Billed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Billed weight||249 lb (113 kg)|
|Born||May 30, 1955
|Resides||Oak Ridge, Texas|
|Billed from||Stone Mountain, Georgia|
|Debut||May 13, 1975|
|Retired||January 29, 2011|
Aurelian Jake Smith, Jr. (born May 30, 1955 in Gainesville, Texas) is a retired American professional wrestler who is best known for wrestling with WWF, WCW and ECW under the ring name, Jake "The Snake" Roberts. He is a second generation wrestler because his father is Aurelian "Grizzly" Smith. He was known for bringing out snakes during his matches, one of his snakes being a python named Damien.
He made a surprise return on the January 6, 2014 episode of Raw titled Old School Raw and dumped a snake on the face of a downed Dean Ambrose. On the January 27, 2014 episode of Raw, Jerry Lawler announced that Roberts was the second entrant in the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2014.
Championships[change | edit source]
Roberts held many championships during his professional wrestling career:
- All-Star Wrestling Network (Georgia)
- AWN World Heavyweight Champion (one time)
- Americas Wrestling Federation
- AWF Puerto Rican Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- Georgia Championship Wrestling
- NWA National Television Championship (one time)
- NWA World Television Championship (Georgia version) (two times)
- Mid-South Wrestling Association
- Mid-South Louisiana Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- Mid-South North American Heavyweight Championship (two times)
- Mid-South Television Championship (one time)
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
- PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year in 1996
- PWI ranked him #100 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003
- Smoky Mountain Wrestling
- SMW Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- Stampede Wrestling
- Stampede North American Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- World Class Championship Wrestling
References[change | edit source]
- "Jake 'The Snake' Roberts on Comeback Trail". Diamond Dallas Page. http://www.diamonddallaspage.com/?news=jake-the-snake-roberts-to-move-in-with-diamond-dallas-page-train-for-one-last-pro-wrestling-run. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- "Slithering back: Jake "The Snake" Roberts on his triumphant return". WWE. http://www.wwe.com/inside/jake-the-snake-roberts-exclusive-interview-26175431. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "2014 WWE Hall of Fame Inductee: Jake "The Snake" Roberts: Raw, JAN. 27, 2014". WWE. http://www.wwe.com/videos/2014-wwe-hall-of-fame-inductee-jake-the-snake-roberts-raw-jan-27-2014-26178600. Retrieved 2014-01-27.