John Cena visiting the Naval Station Norfolk in Norfolk, Virginia on December 8, 2013
|Ring name(s)||John Cena
|Billed height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Billed weight||251 lb (114 kg)|
|Born||April 23, 1977 
West Newbury, Massachusetts
|Billed from||"Classified" (UPW)
West Newbury, Massachusetts (WWE)
"West Newbarnia, Mexico" (as Juan Cena)
|Trained by||Ultimate Pro Wrestling
Ohio Valley Wrestling
|Debut||November 5, 1999|
John Felix Anthony Cena, Jr. (born April 23, 1977) is an American professional wrestler, hip hop musician and actor. He currently works for the WWE. Cena has won the WWE Champion/WWE World Heavyweight Champion twelve times, the World Heavyweight Championship twice, the WWE United States Championship three times and the World Tag Team Championship (WWE) twice. Also, Cena won the Royal Rumble in 2008 and 2013. As for his musical career, Cena has released an album called You Can't See Me. Cena has also been featured in the movies The Marine, 12 Rounds and Legendary. In Baseball, he is a Red Sox fan turned Rays fan.
Career[change | change source]
World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment (2001 - present)[change | change source]
Cena was signed by then Person in charge of Talent Relations, Jim Ross on behalf on WWF. According to Ross, when he returned to Connecticut after signing Cena he walked into Vince McMahon's office and told him "I just signed your main event for WrestleMania in 5 years." Cena would eventually make his WrestleMania debut 3 years later at WrestleMania XX winning the WWE United States Championship from The Big Show, and his Main event WrestleMania debut 4 years later winning the WWE Championship, from John "Bradshaw" Layfield.
During the match between Barrett and Orton, Orton won so Cena was forced to retire (Kayfabe). He was rehired by Wade Barrett and defeated him at TLC: Tables, Ladders and Chairs Pay Per View.
He was drafted to SmackDown as the first pick in the 2011 WWE Draft, but before the end of the night, he was drafted back to Raw.
He was defeated by The Rock at WrestleMania XXVIII. He won his second Royal Rumble in January 2013. Thus he got another match at WrestleMania XXIX against The Rock for WWE Championship. He won that match and became the WWE Champion.
Championships and accomplishments[change | change source]
- Ohio Valley Wrestling
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
- PWI Feud of the Year (2006) vs. Edge
- PWI Match of the Year (2007) vs. Shawn Michaels on Raw on April 23
- PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (2003)
- PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (2004, 2005, 2007)
- PWI Wrestler of the Year (2006, 2007)
- PWI ranked #1 of the top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2006 and 2007
- World Wrestling Entertainment/WWE
- WWE Championship/WWE World Heavyweight Championship (12 times)
- World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)
- WWE United States Championship (3 times)
- WWE Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with The Miz (1) and David Otunga (1)
- World Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Batista (1) and Shawn Michaels (1)
- Money in the Bank (2012 - WWE Championship contract)
- Royal Rumble (2008, 2013)
- Slammy Award for Superstar of the Year – 2009, 2010 and 20121
- Slammy Award for Holy $#!+ Move of the Year (2010) – Sends Batista through the stage with an Attitude Adjustment.
- Slammy Award for Game Changer of the Year (2011) – with The Rock
- Slammy Award for Insult of the Year (2012) - To Dolph Ziggler & Vickie Guerrero: "You're the exact opposite. One enjoys eating a lot of nuts and the other is still trying to find his."
- Slammy Award for Kiss of the Year (2012) – with AJ Lee
- Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2013) - vs. The Rock for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 29
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
- 5 Star Match (2011) (vs. CM Punk at Money in the Bank on July 17)
- Wrestler of the Year (2007, 2010)
- Best Box Office Draw (2007)
- Best Gimmick (2003)
- Best on Interviews (2007)
- Feud of the Year (2011) (vs. CM Punk)
- Match of the Year (2011) (vs. CM Punk at Money in the Bank on July 17)
- Most Charismatic (2006–2010)
- Most Charismatic of the Decade (2000–2009)
- Worst Feud of the Year (2012) (vs. Kane)
- Worst Worked Match of the Year (2012) (vs. John Laurinaitis at Over the Limit on May 20)
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2012)
References[change | change source]
- "Superstars > Raw > John Cena > Bio". WWE.com. http://www.wwe.com/superstars/raw/johncena/bio/. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- John Cena at the Internet Movie Database, retrieved 2008-11-30
- Cridlin, Jay. "John Cena: The ultimate converted Rays fan". St. Petersburg Times. http://www.tampabay.com/features/celebrities/article825879.ece. Retrieved 2008-11-18.
- (2007). John Cena: My Life [DVD]. World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved during 1 2009. Event occurs at 18:00.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 26, 2011). "Biggest issue of the year: The 2011 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards Issue". Wrestling Observer Newsletter (Campbell, CA): 1–40. .
- Meltzer, Dave (January 30, 2012). "January 30 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Gigantic year-end awards issue, best and worst in all categories plus UFC on FX 1, death of Savannah Jack, ratings, tons and tons of news". Wrestling Observer Newsletter (Campbell, CA). .
- Beltrán, William (August 3, 2010). "Según el Wrestling Observer... ¿Quiénes son los mejores los mejores de la década?" (in Spanish). SuperLuchas Magazine. http://superluchas.net/2010/08/03/segun-el-wrestling-observer%E2%80%A6-%C2%BFquienes-son-los-mejores-los-mejores-de-la-decada/. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 23, 2013). "The 2012 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Annual Awards Issue". Wrestling Observer Newsletter (Campbell, California). . http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content/article/110-wrestling-observer-newsletter/29425-the-2012-wrestling-observer-newsletter-annual-awards-issue.
- Meltzer, Dave (2012-11-12). "Nov. 12, 2012 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: WON Hall of Fame 2012 double issue, six men inducted, all the news and info from around the world and more!". Wrestling Observer Newsletter (Campbell, California): 8. .
Other websites[change | change source]