From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ruganda's plays "reflect the reality of the East African sociopolitical situation after independence." He helped outline East African theater. The Burdens (1972) and The Floods (1980) are regularly studied in Literature classes.
Writing[change | edit source]
Plays[change | edit source]
- The Burdens, Kampala, Uganda, National Theatre, January 1970
- Black Mamba, Kampala, 1972
- The Good Woman of Setzuan, by Bertolt Brecht, translated into Swahili by Ruganda, Nairobi, Nairobi University Players, November 1978
- The Floods, Nairobi, French Cultural Centre, 1 March 1979
- Music without Tears, Nairobi, Nairobi University Players, February 1982
- Echoes of Silence, Nairobi, 1985
Television[change | edit source]
- The Secret of the Season, screenplay by Ruganda, Voice of Kenya, March 1973
- The Floods, screenplay by Ruganda, Voice of Kenya, April 1973
- The Illegitimate, screenplay by Ruganda, Voice of Kenya, August 1982
References[change | edit source]
- African Books Collective. "John Ruganda". http://www.africanbookscollective.com/authors-editors/john-ruganda. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Imbuga, Francis. "John Ruganda". Gale Database: Dictionary of Literary Biography. http://galenet.galegroup.com/servlet/GLD/hits?r=d&origSearch=true&o=DataType&n=10&l=d&c=5&locID=mtlib_4_1051&secondary=false&u=CA&u=CLC&u=DLB&t=KW&s=1&NT=%22African%22. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Ssenkaaba, Stephen (18). "Ruganda: The passing of a literary giant". New Vision Online. http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/25/602615. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- East African Educational Publishers Ltd.. "John Ruganda Passes On". http://www.eastafricanpublishers.com/News/John%20Ruganda.htm. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
More books[change | edit source]
- Horn, "Uhuru to Amin: T he Golden Decade of Theatre in Uganda," Literary Half-Yearly, 19, no. 1 (1978): 22-49
- Peter Nazareth, "Africa under Neocolonialism: New East African Writing," Busara, 6, no. 1 (1974): 19-32
- Mineke Schipper, Theatre and Society in Africa (Johannesburg: Ravan Press, 1982)