|Birth name||Jonathan Clegg|
|Also known as||Johnny Clegg
Le Zoulou Blanc
|Born||7 June 1953
Bacup, Lancashire, England
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, concertina|
|Associated acts||Juluka, Savuka|
|Sipho Mchunu (Juluka), Dudu Mntowaziwayo Ndlovu (Savuka)|
Juluka were able to tour in Europe. They had two platinum and five gold albums. They were an international success. The Savuka album Shadow Man sold 250,000 copies within a week after its release. It went on to sell more than 1,000,000 copies in France alone),
His song "Scatterlings of Africa" was on the soundtrack to the 1988 Oscar winning movie Rain Man. This song is his only entry in the UK Singles Chart to date. It reached #75 in May 1987. He also did music for the movie The Lion King 1½, George of the Jungle and Opportunity Knocks.
Recognition[change | edit source]
- Clegg was awarded the Chevalier des Arts et Lettres (Knight of Arts and Letters) by the French Government in 1991.
- In 2004, he was voted 23rd in the SABC3's Great South Africans.
- In 2007, Clegg received an honorary doctorate in music from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- In 2011, Clegg received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from City University of New York School of Law.
- In 2012, Clegg received the South African Presidential Ikhamanga award as part of the National Orders ceremony. This award is the highest honor a citizen can receive in South Africa. It was presented by President Jacob Zuma.
- In 2012, Clegg received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Dartmouth College
References[change | edit source]
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 110. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- MEET JOHNNY CLEGG, INTERNATIONALLY RENOWNED MUSICIAN AND WITS ALUMNUS