LGBT rights in Bangladesh
LGBT human rights are not respected in the People's Republic of Bangladesh, and there appears to be no organized movement to advance such human rights. And such acts of homosexuality will lead to life in prison, or even face the death penalty.
Constitutional & Criminal Code [change]
The Constitution has several provisions that could apply to LGBT citizens;
- Part II Article 19 – Promises equal opportunity for all citizens.
- Part III Article 27- Promises equality before the law for all citizens.
- Freedom of religion and the press are both promised, but subject to restrictions based on "decency or morality".
- A citizen is not eligible to be a member of Parliament if they are convicted of a "criminal offence involving moral turpitude."
According to Section 377A of BPC, adult homosexual sex acts are illegal and will be punished with deportation, fines and/or up to 10 years, sometimes life imprisonment. This legal prohibition extends to any sort of LGBT-human rights organization.[source?]
BPC Section – 377A. Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal, shall be punished with imprisonment for life, or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine.
Explanation : ” Penetration is sufficient to constitute the carnal intercourse necessary to the offence described in this section.
- "Bangladesh". Sodomy Laws. http://www.sodomylaws.org/world/bangladesh/bangladesh.htm. Retrieved 20 January 2011.