Lawrence Ferlinghetti at City Lights in 2007
|Born||March 24, 1919
Yonkers, New York, United States
|Occupation||Poet, activist, essayist, painter|
|Literary movement||Beat, New American Poets, Postmodernism, IMMAGINE&POESIA|
Lawrence Ferlinghetti (born March 24, 1919) is an American poet, painter, liberal activist, and the co-founder of City Lights Bookstore. He is the author of poetry, translations, fiction, theatre, art criticism, and film narration.
Poetry[change | change source]
Ferlinghetti’s poetry is based on lyric and narrative traditions. His themes are the beauty of nature, the tragicomic life of the common man, the situation of the individual in mass society, and the dream and betrayal of democracy.
Painting[change | change source]
Ferlinghetti began painting in Paris in 1948. In San Francisco he occupied a studio that he inherited from Hassel Smith. His first works show the influence the New York abstract expressionists. A more figurative style is apparent in his later works. Ferlinghetti’s paintings have been shown at various museums around the world.
Awards[change | change source]
He has received numerous awards, including the Premio Taormina in 1973, and since then has been awarded the Premio Camaiore, the Premio Flaiano, the Premio Cavour, among other honors in Italy. Since 2009 he has been in the Honour Committee of IMMAGINE&POESIA, the artistic literary movement founded in Turin, Italy, with the patronage of Aeronwy Thomas (Dylan Thomas's daughter).
Bibliography (selection)[change | change source]
- Pictures of the Gone World (City Lights, 1955) Poetry (enlarged, 1995) ISBN 9780872863033
- A Coney Island of the Mind ( New Directions, 1958) Poetry
- Her (New Directions, 1960) Prose
- One Thousand Fearful Words for Fidel Castro (City Lights, 1961) Broadside poem
- These Are My Rivers: New & Selected Poems, 1955-1993 (New Directions, 1993) ISBN 0811212734
- City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology (City Lights, 1995) ISBN 978-0-872863118
- A Far Rockaway Of The Heart (New Directions, 1998) ISBN 0-8112-1347-1
- How to Paint Sunlight: Lyrics Poems & Others, 1997-2000 (New Directions, 2001) ISBN 0-8112-1463-X
- San Francisco Poems (City Lights Foundation, 2001) Poetry ISBN 9781931404013
- Life Studies, Life Stories (City Lights, 2003) ISBN 9780872864214
- Americus: Part I (New Directions, 2004)
- A Coney Island of the Mind (Arion Press, 2005), with portraiture by R.B. Kitaj
- Poetry as Insurgent Art (New Directions, 2007) Poetry
- A Coney Island of the Mind: Special 50th Anniversary Edition with a CD of the author reading his work (New Directions, 2008)
- 50 poems by Lawrence Ferlinghetti 50 images by Armando Milani ( Rudiano, 2010) Poetry and Graphics ISBN 8889-04465-9
References[change | change source]
- "Academic.Brooklyn". Lawrence Ferlinghetti’s italianita. http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/modlang/carasi/via/ViaVol3_1Kirschenbaum.htm. Retrieved October 30, 2006.
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti: 60 years of painting, edited by Giada Diano and Elisa Polimeni, Silvana Editoriale, Cinisello Balsamo (MI), 2009