List of Baptists
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of Baptists. This list is not complete.
Preachers, theologians, and missionaries [change]
- Chambers, Oswald, converted to Christianity under C. H. Spurgeon
- Colson, Chuck, former top aide to President Richard Nixon 
- Falwell, Jerry, televangelist, founder of the Moral Majority
- Graham, Billy 
- Ham, Mordecai, tent revivalist who preached the sermon where Billy Graham was converted to Christianity
- Hyles, Jack, controversial pastor and leader of the Independent Baptist movement
- King, Dr. Martin Luther (Jr.), Civil rights leader, Nobel Peace Prize recipient 
- MacArthur, John (Jr.), pastor and theologian
- Rogers, Adrian, televangelical
- Spurgeon, C. H., British pastor, known as "The Prince of Preachers"
- Stanley, Charles, televangelist founder of In Touch Ministries
- Carter, Jimmy, Nobel Peace Prize recipient; 39th President of the United States 
- Huckabee, Mike, (R) former governor of Arkansas and 2008 Presidential candidate 
- Lincoln, Abraham, 16th President of the United States. Lincoln was raised in the Regular Baptist church, but did not practice any organized religion as an adult.
- McCain, John, United States Senator (R) Arizona, Presidential candidate
- Rockefeller, Nelson, U.S. Vice-President under Gerald Ford (1974-77)
- Aiken, Clay, country music singer
- Campbell, Glen, country music singer
- Cash, Johnny, country music singer
- Costner, Kevin, actor
- Davis, Bette, actress and former Baptist 
- Holly, Buddy, rock 'n' roll singer
- Murphy, Eddie
- Norris, Chuck, actor
Other Baptists [change]
- Brown, Jim, former fullback for the Cleveland Browns
- Mutombo, Dikembe, center for the Houston Rockets
- Johnson, Zach, professional golfer, winner of the 2007 Masters Tournament
- White, Reggie, professional football defensive end; member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Jesse James, an American outlaw, son of a Baptist minister
- Rockefeller, John D, twentieth century oil tycoon
- Bunyan, John, author of Pilgrim's Progress
- Grisham, John, bestselling author of The Firm, A Painted House and Skipping Christmas.
- LaHaye, Tim, co-author of the bestselling Left Behind series 
- "131 Christians Everyone Should Know: Oswald Chambers", Christian History & Biography. (undated).
- "Charles Coleson", Adherents.com
- Peter Applebome. "Jerry Falwell, Moral Majority Founder, Dies at 73. The New York Times (May 16, 2007). Retrieved September 23, 2007.
- "The Religious Affiliation of Billy Graham", Adherents.com. (undated). Retrieved April 9 2008
- "Mordecai Ham: Outspoken Evangelist". Christian History Institute. (June 2007). Retrieved September 23, 2007.
- Jack Hyles Home Page (undated). Retrieved September 23, 2007.
- . "Martin Luther King Biography" www.nobelprize.org retrieved September 20 2007
- Fisher Humphries. "Calvininsm and Theology Today" in The Center for Baptist Studies at Mercer University (undated). Retrieved September 21, 2007
- Michael Foust. "Adrian Rogers, Longtime Bellevue Pastor and Leader in Conservative Resurgence, Dies" Baptist Press (news agency) November 15, 2005. Retrieved September 21, 2007.
- "C(harles) H(addon) Spurgeon Biography (1834-92) www.biography.com
- "Dr. Charles Stanley. In Touch Ministry (undated). Retrieved September 23, 2007.
- ""Let the Church Stand Up"". Time. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,918212-1,00.html.
- Gretel C. Kovach, Sarah Elkins, Suzanne Smalley and Sarah Kliff. "A Pastor's True Calling." Newsweek December 17 2007. Retrieved January 6 2008.
- "Says Record Shows Lincoln a Baptist" New York Times (31 October 1921. Retrieved 11 April 2008.
- Bruce Smith. McCain Says He's Been Baptist for Years. ABC News. September 17 2007 retrieved September 17 2007.
- "The Religious Affiliation of US President Nelson A. Rockefeller". www.adherents.com, (undated). Retrieved March 27 2008.
- Holly Vicente Robaina. "Heart of Clay". Christianity Today (December 2005). Retrieved 3 October 2007.
- The religion of Glen Campbell, rock and roll star
- The religion of Johnny Cash, country music star
- The religion of Kevin Costner, actor and film director
- The religion of Buddy Holly, rock and roll star
- The religion of Eddie Murphy, actor, comedian actor, comedian
- Sara Horn. "Chuck Norris Tells How God's Plan Was Bigger Than His Own." Baptist Press. September 21 2004. Retrieved April 4 2008.
- The religion of Jim Brown, pro-football player, actor
- Hillary Wicai. "NBA Star Puts Faith to Work," Baptist Standard. January 8 2001. Retrieved July 7 2007
- Erin Roach, "Masters winner buoyed by faith, marriage" Baptist Press.
- The religion of Reggie White, murderer turned Christian author
- "Timeline: The Life and Death of Jesse James"
- "Baptists" Time. (June 7 1926). Retrieved March 26 2008.
- Martha Duffy. "Grisham's Law". Time (May 8, 1995). Retrieved September 22, 2007.
- Cathy Lynn Grossman. "Prophesy Feeds Fire of Debate" USAToday (April 24, 2004). Retrieved September 22, 2007.