List of numbered routes in Delaware
Standard route shields
|Interstates:||Interstate X (I-X)|
|US Routes:||U.S. Route X (US X)|
|State:||Delaware Route X (DE X)|
The following is a List of numbered routes in Delaware, made up of Interstate highways, U.S. routes, and state routes. The Delaware Department of Transportation is responsible for taking care of the numbered roads in Delaware. State routes in Delaware use a highway sign that has the numbers in a white circle on a black square. Delaware's numbering system is like that of the U.S. Highways in that odd numbered highways (1, 3, 5, 7, or 9) travel north-south and even numbered routes (2, 4, 6, 8, or 0) go east-west. The numbers get bigger as one goes south and west respectively. There are some numbers that do not follow this, however, mostly with routes from other states keeping their number as they enter Delaware.
History[change | edit source]
The first numbered routes in Delaware came in 1925 with the creation of the U.S. Highway System, in which US 13, US 40, and US 113 were made by law to run through the state. In 1930 and again in 1932, the Delaware State Highway Department suggested giving numbers to state roads to go along with the existing U.S. Highway System. By 1936, Delaware began giving numbers to state routes. In 1956, the Interstate Highway System was made, with under 40 miles of Interstate highway made by law in New Castle County.
State routes[change | edit source]
U.S. routes in Delaware[change | edit source]
Interstate highways in Delaware[change | edit source]
|Route||Starting point||Ending point||Length
|Interstate 95||I-95 at Maryland border near Newark||I-95 at Pennsylvania border near Claymont||23.43||37.7|
|Interstate 295||I-95 / I-495 / US 202 at Newport||I-295 / US 40 at New Jersey border near Wilmington Manor||5.71||9.2|
|Interstate 495||I-95 / I-295 / US 202 at Newport||I-95 / DE 92 at Claymont||11.47||18.5|
|Interstate 895||I-95 at Newport||I-95 at Claymont||10.78||17.3||Became I-95 in 1982|
References[change | edit source]
- Annual Report of the State Highway Department. 1925. Dover, Delaware: Delaware State Highway Department. 1925-12-31. p. 17. http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/annual_reports/pdf/1925/annual_1925.pdf. Retrieved 2010-11-18.
- Annual Report of the Chief Engineer State Highway Department. 1930. Dover, Delaware: Delaware State Highway Department. 1930-12-31. p. 19. http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/annual_reports/pdf/1930/annual_1930_chief.pdf. Retrieved 2010-11-18.
- Annual Report of the Chief Engineer State Highway Department. 1932. Dover, Delaware: Delaware State Highway Department. 1932-12-31. p. 31. http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/annual_reports/pdf/1932/annual_1932_chief.pdf. Retrieved 2010-11-18.
- Delaware Department of Transportation. Delaware Official Highway Map [map], 1936/37 edition. Retrieved on 2010-04-15.
- Annual Report of the Chief Engineer Delaware State Highway Department. 1956. Dover, Delaware: Delaware State Highway Department. 1956-07-01. p. 8. http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/annual_reports/pdf/1956/annual_1956_chief.pdf. Retrieved 2010-11-18.
- http://www.deldot.gov/information/pubs_forms/manuals/traffic_counts/2006/pdf/rpt_pgs1_38_rev.pdf DelDOT 2006 Traffic Count and Mileage Report