List of veterans of World War I who died in 2009–12
This a list of known veterans of World War I who died in 2009 (5 veterans), 2010 (1 veteran), 2011 (2 veterans) and 2012 (1 veteran). Florence Green, who died on 4 February 2012, was the last surviving veteran of any nation.
Veterans by country of service – 9 veterans[change | edit source]
These people served in the armed forces during World War I.
|Australia||John Campbell Ross||11 March 1899||3 June 2009 (110)||Last Australian digger. Joined in early 1918 as wireless operator, but did not see action. Served in Home Guard in World War II. Australia's oldest person. Lived in Bendigo, Victoria.|
|Canada||John Babcock||23 July 1900||18 February 2010 (109)||Last Canadian veteran. Joined in 1916. Served first in the 146th Battalion, then transferred to Boys Battalion. Did his training in UK but did not see action because of his age. Moved to the U.S. in 1924.|
|United Kingdom||Henry Allingham||6 June 1896||18 July 2009 (113)||Last airman. Served in the 12 Squadron RNAS. Joined in 1915 as a mechanic. Last veteran of the Battle of Jutland. World's oldest man and oldest ever British man. Oldest veteran ever to see action. Lived in Brighton, Sussex.|
|United Kingdom||Claude Choules||3 March 1901||5 May 2011 (110)||Last living person who fought in World War I. Last seaman. Last veteran who served in both World Wars. Last male veteran. Joined in 1916. Moved to Australia in 1926 and served with Royal Australian Navy in World War II. Lived in Perth, Western Australia.|
|United Kingdom||Florence Green||19 February 1901||4 February 2012 (110)||Last veteran. Worked as a waitress in the Women's Royal Air Force. Lived in North Lynn, Norfolk.|
|United Kingdom||Netherwood Hughes||12 June 1900||4 April 2009 (108)||Joined in mid-1918 as truck driver. Did not see action as he was still in training. Lived in Accrington, Lancashire.|
|United Kingdom||Harry Patch||17 June 1898||25 July 2009 (111)||Last Tommy. Served in the British Army. Last veteran to serve in trenches. Joined in 1916. Last survivor of the Battle of Passchendaele. Fireman in World War II. Europe's oldest man upon death. Lived in Wells, Somerset.|
|United Kingdom||Bill Stone||23 September 1900||10 January 2009 (108)||Joined Royal Navy in 1918. Did not see action as he was still in training, but was also a World War II veteran. Lived in Reading, Berkshire at the time of his death.|
|United States||Frank Buckles||1 February 1901||27 February 2011 (110)||Last American veteran. Joined in 1917. Ambulance driver near Western Front. Held prisoner in World War II as a civilian. Lived in Charles Town, West Virginia.|
Unverified World War I veterans – 4 veterans[change | edit source]
Listed here are the veterans who were not verified as a World War I veteran.
|Italy||Sante Dal Santo||8 September 1902||26 February 2009 (106)||Claimed to have joined in 1916 at the age of 14 as a "Digger" digging trenches and tunnels. Also served in World War II. Lived in Montecchio Precalcino.|
|Italy||Carlo Dozzi||25 January 1901||30 May 2009 (108)||Claimed to have joined up in 1917 at the age of 16 as a "Digger" digging trenches and tunnels. Also served in World War II. Lived in Maniago.|
|United Kingdom||Harry Futcher||21 April 1904||27 May 2010 (106)||Claimed to have joined up in 1918 at the age of 14 as a bandsman in the British Army serving in Egypt during the First World War. Lived in Dorset, England.|
|United Kingdom||Doug Terrey||23 June 1903||26 June 2010 (107)||Claimed to have joined up in 1917 as courier delivering messages in the Southampton Military District. Also served in World War II. Lived in Southampton, Hampshire.|
World War I era veterans – 6 veterans[change | edit source]
Listed here are those that joined the armed services after the Armistice date, but before the Treaty of Versailles was signed, or where there is debate on their join-date, or whose military service is sometimes viewed as outside the scope of "WWI", but are considered World War I-era veterans by the press or by their respective governments, or served in a related conflict.
|Brazil||Waldemar Levy Cardoso||4 December 1900||13 May 2009 (108)||Last Brazilian World War I-era veteran. Served in the Brazilian Army, joining in late 1918 but did not see action. Lieutenant Colonel in World War II. Last living Brazilian field marshal. Later lived in Rio de Janeiro.|
|Finland||Aarne Arvonen||4 August 1897||1 January 2009 (111)||One of the last veterans from the Finnish Civil War. Finland's oldest ever man. Last living Finn born in 19th century. Lived in Järvenpää.|
|Finland||Nurminen, Lauri||9 September 1906||20 February 2009 (102)||Possibly the last Finnish Civil War veteran. Lived in Valkeakoski.|
|Germany||Helmut Fink||18 March 1901||27 April 2009 (108)||Last veteran of the German Revolution and last German World War I-era veteran. Served in the Freikorps during the German Revolution of 1918-1919.|
|Poland||Wilhelm Meisel||1904||2009 (105)||Last veteran of the Silesian Uprisings. Joined up in 1919 at the age of 15 and served for the Polish Army during the Silesian uprising until it ended in 1921.|
|United States||Robley Rex||2 May 1901||28 April 2009 (107)||Last American World War I-era veteran. Joined in May 1919. Lived in Louisville, Kentucky.|
Related pages[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- "Last Aussie digger to fight in WWI dies". The Age. 2005-10-18. http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Last-Digger-to-fight-in-WWI-dies/2005/10/18/1129401230413.html. Retrieved 2007-05-30.
- Turnbull, Jeff (2008-03-11). "Oldest Digger celebrates turning 109". news.com.au. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23358515-2,00.html. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "Australia's oldest man Jack Ross dies aged 110". theage.com.au. 2009-06-03. http://www.theage.com.au/national/last-remaining-digger-australias-oldest-man-jack-ross-dies-aged-110-20090603-buy4.html. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- "Australia's oldest man, 110, dies". BBC News. 2009-06-03. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8080731.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- "Oldest Canadian World War I veteran dies". WKOW. 2010-02-18. http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12009482. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "Canada's last WW I veteran dies". CBC News. 2010-02-19. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/02/18/war-veteran018.html. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- Elliot, Ian (2010-02-19). "Last World War I vet Babcock dies at 109". The Kingston Whig Standard. http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2455993. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- Geranios, Nicholas K (2010-02-20). "John Babcock, 108; Canada’s last known veteran of WWI". The Boston Globe. http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/obituaries/articles/2010/02/20/john_babcock_108_canadas_last_known_veteran_of_wwi/. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
- Smith, David (2006-10-29). "Great War foes embrace as friends". The Observer. http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1934438,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=11. Retrieved 2007-01-22.
- Mccaffrey, Julie (2006-10-30). "Old Enemies.. New Friends". Mirror.co.uk. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_headline=old-enemies---new-friends-&method=full&objectid=18012398&siteid=94762-name_page.html. Retrieved 2007-01-22.
- "Oldest WWI veteran dies aged 113". BBC News. 2009-07-18. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8157128.stm. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- Choules, Claude The Last of the Last Mainstream Publishing pg 11 (introduction) & pg 61
- "Veteran, 107, is last man to serve in both world wars". Worcester News. 2008-11-08. http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/local/3830105.Veteran__107__is_last_man_to_serve_in_both_world_wars/. Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- Booth, Gary (2002-05-13). "500 km by bike to demolish Albany". Navy News. http://www.defence.gov.au/news/navynews/editions/05_13_02/story09.htm. Retrieved 2007-07-06.
- Claude, 108 ... last of the WW1 heroes
- Agence France-Presse (27 July 2009). "Claude Choules says WWI was 'boring'". The Australian. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25841206-12377,00.html. Retrieved 2009-08-02. ""Mr Choules was informed by his 80-year-old daughter Anne Pow over the weekend that the death of 111-year-old Harry Patch, Britain's last soldier who fought in the Great War's infamous trenches, had made him the country's sole survivor.""
- "Last WWI combat veteran Claude Choules dies aged 110". BBC News. 5 May 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13289607. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Norfolk first world war veteran dies aged 110". Eastern Daily Press. 7 February 2012. http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norfolk_first_world_war_veteran_dies_aged_110_1_1201358. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Kenyon, Lisa (2008-06-20). "Old Ned's still in top gear for his 108th milestone". Accrington Observer. http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/news/s/1054848_old_neds_still_in_top_gear_for_his_108th_milestone. Retrieved 2008-08-14.
- Bingham, John (2008-11-20). "'New' First World War veteran comes to light through internet". The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3491093/New-First-World-War-veteran-comes-to-light-through-internet.html. Retrieved 2008-12-01.
- "WWI veteran celebrates 108 years". BBC Online News. 2006-10-30. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5090664.stm. Retrieved 2007-01-22.
- "Veteran, 109, revisits WWI trench". BBC Online News. 2007-07-29. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6921217.stm. Retrieved 2007-07-29.
- Patch, Harry; van Emden, Richard (2007). The Last Fighting Tommy. London: Bloomsbury Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7475-9115-3.
- WWI veteran Patch dies aged 111
- Stone, Bill (2009-01-11). "Naval and Other Memories of William Frederick Stone". H.M.S. Hood Association. http://www.hmshood.com/crew/biography/wfstone_bio.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-11.
- BBC News (2009-01-29). "Funeral of World War I veteran". BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7857261.stm. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- "Oldest Living Heroes Remembered". CBS News. 2006-11-11. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/11/eveningnews/main2174447.shtml. Retrieved 2007-01-22.
- Reynolds, Dean, and Stuart, Elizabeth (2006-12-02). "Last WWI Veterans Get Their Due". ABC News. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2695964&page=1. Retrieved 2007-01-22.
- Courson, Paul (2011-02-28). "Last living U.S. World War I veteran dies". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/27/wwi.veteran.death/. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- "Alpino Sante Dal Santo – il vecio dei veci" (in Italian). Mett Ivia. 2008-05-08. Archived from the original on 2008-12-30. http://web.archive.org/web/20081230215048/http://www.mettivia.it/vita/alpino-sante-dal-santo-il-vecio-dei-veci. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- Arbori, Giuseppe. "Sante dal Santo – Classe 1902" (in Italian). Ana Vicenza. Archived from the original on 2008-06-16. http://web.archive.org/web/20080616214205/http://www.anavicenza.it/sezione/alpini%20centenari.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- "Name "v3_s2ew_CONSULTAZIONE.mostra_pagina?id_pagina=373 "CARLO DOZZI" MANIAGO&hl=it&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=it" is longer than 30 chars" (in Italian). http://www.db.ilpopolopordenone.glauco.it/pls/ilpopolopordenone/v3_s2ew_CONSULTAZIONE.mostra_pagina%3Fid_pagina%3D373+%22CARLO+DOZZI%22+MANIAGO&hl=it&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=it. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- "East Dorset man celebrates 106th birthday". Daily Echo. 2010-04-21. http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8112807.East_Dorset_man_celebrates_106th_birthday/. Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- Obituary of Harry Futcher
- "Army remembers old soldier Doug". Southern Daily Echo. 2003-06-27. http://archive.dailyecho.co.uk/2003/6/27/47473.html. Retrieved 2008-10-02.
- "105th birthday – Mr Douglas Terrey". Marchwood Parish Council. 2008-09-28. http://www.marchwoodparishcouncil.org.uk/Marchwood-Village-News/Autumn-2008/105th-Birthday.html. Retrieved 2008-11-18.
- Lacerda Ramalho, Henrique. "Waldemar Levy Cardoso" (in Portuguese). Rivkah. http://www.rivkah.com.br/tradicoes/levy/levy.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- Cohen, Vivianne. "Testemunhas do Seculo" (in Portuguese). Terra. http://www.terra.com.br/istoegente/71/testemunha/index.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- Seppälä, Anu (1999-12-24). "Arska, entering his third century and NOT “growing old gracefully”". Helsingin Sanomat. http://www2.hs.fi/english/archive/thisweek/01092000.html. Retrieved 2007-05-30.
- Kauppinen, Perttu (2002-08-06). "At age 105, Aarne Arvonen still knows how to enjoy life". Helsingin Sanomat. http://www2.hs.fi/english/archive/news.asp?id=20020806IE7. Retrieved 2007-05-30.
- HS, STT (2009-01-16). "Suomen viimeinen 1800-luvulla syntynyt kuoli". Helsingin Sanomat. http://www.hs.fi/haku/?haku=Aarne+Arvonen. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- Koikkalainen, Olli (2009-03-05). "The last freedom fighter buried with pine sword". Valkeakoski Sanomat. http://www.valkeakoskensanomat.fi/cs/Satellite?c=AMArticle_C&childpagename=VKS_newssite%2FAMLayout&cid=1194614509450&p=1194615932343&pagename=VKSWrapper. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Stapleton, Ellen R. (2003-11-09). "Ky.'s oldest veteran, 102, still devoted to service". The Enquirer. http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/11/09/loc_ky-oldestvet.html. Retrieved 2007-01-22.
- Senator McConnell, Mitch (2008-05-12). "Honouring Robley Rex". Govtrack. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/record.xpd?id=110-s20080512-27. Retrieved 2009-01-21.