Liverpool Street station
Location of London Liverpool Street in Greater London
|Local authority||City of London|
|Managed by||Network Rail|
|Number of platforms||18|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
Liverpool Street station, also known as London Liverpool Street, is a major railway station in the north eastern corner of the City of London in England. It is connected to a London Underground station of the same name. It is the southern terminus of the Great Eastern Main Line (GEML), and is the main departure point from London to destinations in the East of England not served by the East Coast Main Line from King's Cross. It has commuter service to parts of East London and Essex, such as Chelmsford, Clacton-on-Sea, Witham and Norwich. It serves the London Stansted Airport via the Stansted Express. It is one of the busiest stations in the United Kingdom, the third busiest in London after Waterloo and Victoria. Over 123 million people use the station each year. It is one of 17 managed by Network Rail. The station has exits to Bishopsgate, Liverpool Street and the Broadgate development. It is in Travelcard Zone 1.
Service[change | change source]
The present Monday to Friday off-peak service sees 30 trains per hour departing and arriving.
Great Eastern Main Line Route
- 1 train per hour to Braintree, calling at Stratford, Shenfield, Ingatestone, Chelmsford, Witham and all stations to Braintree.
- 2 trains per hour to Norwich, of which:
- 1 calls at Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich, Diss and Norwich.
- 1 calls at Stratford, Chelmsford, Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich, Stowmarket, Diss and Norwich.
- 6 trains per hour to Shenfield, calling at all stations.
- 3 trains to Southend Victoria, of which:
- 2 call at Stratford, Shenfield and all stations to Southend Victoria.
- 1 calls at Stratford, Romford, Shenfield and all stations to Southend Victoria.
- 1 train per hour to Colchester Town, calling at Stratford, Romford, Shenfield, Chelmsford, Witham, Kelvedon, Marks Tey, Colchester and Colchester Town.
- 1 train per hour to Clacton-on-Sea, calling at Stratford, Shenfield, Ingatestone, Chelmsford, Witham, Colchester, Wivenhoe, Thorpe-le-Soken and Clacton-on-Sea.
- 1 train on Monday-Friday calling at Stratford, Seven Kings, Gidea Park, Shenfield then all stations to Colchester, which operates between Liverpool Street-Colchester.
- A limited number of trains to Witham, calling at Stratford, Shenfield, Ingatestone, Chelmsford and Witham.
- Two summer Saturday trains between London Liverpool Street and Great Yarmouth, of which one train calls at Chelmsford, Manningtree, Ipswich, Stowmarket, Diss, Norwich, Brundall Gardens, Brundall, Lingwood and Acle. The other service calls at Colchester, Ipswich, Diss, Brundall Gardens, Brundall, Lingwood and Acle.
West Anglia Main Line Route
- 4 trains per hour to Chingford, calling at all stations except Cambridge Heath and London Fields.
- 2 train per hour to Enfield Town calling at all stations via Seven Sisters and Edmonton
- 4 trains per hour to Stansted Airport, of which:
- 2 call at Tottenham Hale, Bishops Stortford and Stansted Airport.
- 2 call at Tottenham Hale, Harlow Town and Stansted Airport.
- 2 trains per hour to Hertford East, calling at Hackney Downs, Tottenham Hale then all stations to Hertford East.
- 2 trains per hour to Cheshunt, calling at all stations via Seven Sisters and Turkey Street
- 2 trains per hour to Cambridge, of which:
- 1 calls at Tottenham Hale, Cheshunt, Broxbourne, Harlow Town, Sawbridgeworth, Bishops Stortford, Audley End, Whittlesford Parkway and Cambridge.
- 1 calls at Tottenham Hale, Cheshunt and then all stations to Cambridge
Gallery[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- David Stevenson (2004). 1914-1918 The History of the First World War. Allen Lane.
- Alan A Jackson (1969). London's Termini. David & Charles.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Liverpool Street station|
- Station information on Liverpool Street station from Network Rail
- Old Liverpool Street Tribute to the old decor.
- BBC Panorama programme featuring Liverpool Street station
- Daily Telegraph article about the furor following the "Dirty War" documentary featuring Liverpool St.
- David Blunkett condemns docudrama
- London Landscape TV episode (7 mins) about Liverpool Street station
- Alternative view of the Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan line platforms
- Cut away diagram showing the London Underground station layout in 3d post CrossRail.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
West Anglia Main Line
Lea Valley Lines
Great Eastern Main Line
London-Southend and Southminster
Liverpool Street - Barking
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards Baker Street
towards Tower Hill
|Hammersmith & City line||