M. Night Shyamalan
|M. Night Shyamalan|
M. Night Shyamalan, 2008
|Born||Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan
August 6, 1970
Mahé, Puducherry, India
|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter and actor|
|Spouse||Bhavna Vaswani (1993-Present)|
Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan (pronounced /ˈʃɑːməlɑːn/; മനോജ് നെല്ലിയാട്ടു ശ്യാമളന്, Mitur Ben Es-Derti Tamil: மனோஜ் நெல்லியட்டு ஷ்யாமளன்,Latin English: Maṉōj Nelliyāṯṯu Ṣiyāmaḷaṉ, born 6 August 1970), known professionally as M. Night Shyamalan, is an Indian-American filmmaker and screenwriter who resides and works primarily in the United States, known for making movies with contemporary supernatural plots that climax with a twist ending including The Sixth Sense (1999), Unbreakable (2000), Signs (2002), The Village (2004), Lady in the Water (2006), The Happening (2008) and The Last Airbender (2010). He is also known for filming his movies (and staging his plots) in and around Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he was raised.
Early Life[change | edit source]
Shyamalan was born in a Hindu household in Mahé, Puducherry, India. His father, Nelliate C. Shyamalan is a Malayali traditional physician (Vaidyar) from Mahé. His mother, Jayalakshmi is Tamil and is an obstetrician and gynecologist by profession.
Movies[change | edit source]
|1992||Praying with Anger||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Dev Raman|
|1999||The Sixth Sense||Yes||Yes||Yes||Dr. Hill|
|2000||Unbreakable||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Stadium drug dealer|
|The Four Feathers||Yes|
|2004||The Village||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Jay (Guard at desk)|
|2006||Lady in the Water||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Vick Ran/The Vessel|
|2010||The Last Airbender||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Firebender at Earth Prison Camp|
|Devil||Yes||Yes||Only credited for story concept; not screenplay|
Other projects[change | edit source]
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Night Shyamalan|
- M. Night Shyamalan at the Internet Movie Database
- M. Night Shyamalan: The Official Site
- M. Night Shyamalan Online
- 2006 M. Night Shyamalan interview (Interview with Jon Niccum)
- Interview with Rajeev Masand on CNN-IBN/ibnlive.com
- M. Night Shyamalan Interview at www.sci-fi-online.com
References[change | edit source]
- "The need for a Dev Patel in the Life of Pi". Rediff. 2009-02-20. http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2009/feb/20need-for-a-dev-patel-in-the-life-of-pi.htm.
- Bamberger, Michael. The Man Who Heard Voices: Or, How M. Night Shyamalan Risked His Career on a Fairy Tale (Gotham Books, New York, 2006), p. 150.
- "Chennai Online". Archived from the original on 2009-02-09. http://web.archive.org/web/20090209040153/http://archives.chennaionline.com/columns/variety/variety9.asp.