Manila hostage crisis
The Manila hostage crisis (Tagalog: Pagbibihag ng bus sa Maynila; Chinese: 馬尼拉人質事件) happened on August 23, 2010. A man who had been fired from the Philippine National Police, Rolando del Rosario Mendoza, came onto a tourist bus in Rizal Park and took the passengers hostages. Nine people (including 8 tourists from Hong Kong, killed by Mendoza, and Mendoza himself, shot by the Police) were killed in the incident.
Since Hong Kong people blamed the Philippines Government for not handling the incident properly, the relationship between Hong Kong and the Philippines had become much worse.
- 1 Background
- 2 Process
- 3 Deaths and injured people
- 4 Aftermath
- 5 Criticism to the incident handling
- 6 Mourning
- 7 Legal action
- 8 Affection to the tourism industry
- 9 Controversies in the Internet
- 10 Anecdote
- 11 References
- 12 Related webpages
- 13 Appendix
Background[change | edit source]
Public safety[change | edit source]
Murderer[change | edit source]
When he came aboard the tourist bus, he posted a sticker to the bus stating "BIG MISTAKE TO CORRECT A BIG WRONG DECISION".
Tour group[change | edit source]
The tour group was held by Hong Thai Travel. It set off on 20 August. The day when the incident happen was the last day of the tour. That day was also the Ghost Festival of China.
Process[change | edit source]
About 10 o'clock, Mendoza came apart the bus by force. At that time, he let the tour guide and the hostage contact their households. The tour guide, Tse Ting Chunn, phoned the Assistant Manger, "依家有咗好大鑊嘅問題……有個軍人上咗我部車挾持咗我哋成部車，佢有兩把槍。(There is a serious incident. A solider came apart our bus and took us as hostage. He has two gun.)" The manger told him to make the tourist be calm.
At 2 pm, a younger brother of Mendoza came. A police officer took his gun. Mendoza got angry and shouted. At 9 pm, he started killing the tourists. First, he killed the tour guide. Next, he shot at Yik Siu Ling. She pretended to be dead. Then, some of the tourists decided to subdue him, but they were shot. After that, he kept on shooting at the tourists.
About 7 pm, The Philippine National Police signed the reinstatement order of Mendoza. However, because of the traffic jam, the document wasn't deliver to him on time. When the document was delivered, he had already killed many tourists.
Deaths and injured people[change | edit source]
The tour guide and six tourists were shot by Mendoza and died. Mendoza himself was shot by the Police afterwards. In the incident, seven tourists were hurt. Some of them are still staying at the hospital or undergoing surgery today. Mike Yadrillo y Campanero, a citizen in the Philippines and a staff of TVB were also injured during the shootings. 
Aftermath[change | edit source]
Investigation[change | edit source]
The government of the Philippines agreed that the killed tourists were murdered.
Sanctions to the Philippines[change | edit source]
On 5 November 2013, the Chief Executive of Hong Kong, CY Leung, has claimed that if no progress are made in a month, there will be sanctions to the Philippines.
Hacking[change | edit source]
The official website of Bulacan, a city of the Philippines, was hacked. The background music was changed to the national anthem of the People's Republic of China and text was added which requested the government to apologize.
Funeral and Other Matters[change | edit source]
After the accident, some of the bodies of the killed tourists had been mixed up. Also, the staff of the funeral house opened the coffins and let journalists take photos. Such events made the Hong Kong people very more angry. Ironically, Mendoza's funeral was held at his home and his coffin was covered by the national flag of the Philippines. This added anger to the people of Hong Kong. A "netizen" of Hong Kong even joked that the Philippine flag could be used as doormat.
At last, the Philippines Government said that the flag was used improperly. They had already asked the households of Mendoza to remove the flag.
Criticism to the incident handling[change | edit source]
Philippine Police[change | edit source]
The Philippine Police were criticized for the followings:
- They didn't know how to enter the bus to rescue. In fact, someone from the transport industry said that there was button outside the bus that could open the door easily.
- They had had many chances to shoot Mendoza but they didn't do so. A security analyst, who had worked in the British Army and Scotland Yard, said that the Philippine Police should not give away such chances easily as they were dealing with an unpredictable and irrational man. 
- As Mendoza just wanted to attract attention to what had happened to him, the Police should not annoy him by rejecting his request of having somebody to review his case.
- They didn't have enough equipment to carry out a rescue.
- Some "netizens" in Hong Kong found that the Philippine Police destroyed the windows where a note that was posted by Mendoza was stuck. The note was about a case which made him lost his job.
Rescue Units[change | edit source]
Another injured tourist was sent to the Manila Doctors Hospital. However, a guard didn't let her in. Finally, when she was being transferred to the Manila City Hospital, she died.
Mourning[change | edit source]
Hong Kong[change | edit source]
Mourning masses were held in churches.
A joint demonstration march was held by the policial parties such as the Democratic Party, the Civic Party, Hong Kong Federation of Trade Unions, and Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong.
The march on Hennessy Road
The Philippines[change | edit source]
On 25 August, different religious organizations held Puja and mass. Upajjhayas of Fo Guang Shan, a Taiwanese temple, prayed for peace. The Archbishop of Manila led a prayer and 200 police officers lit candles for the dead in a mourning ceremony.
Fernando Chui Sai On, chief executive of Macau, wrote a condolence letter to Donald Tsang, the Chief Executive of Hong Kong then. The Encyclopedia of Virtual Communities in Macau turned its logo gray.
Legal action[change | edit source]
In 2013, household of the died tour guide and some of the the injured filed a petition to the High Court. The petition is against the government of the Philippines, former mayor of Manila and 7 other units.
Affection to the tourism industry[change | edit source]
At 21:45 on 23 August 2008, Security Bureau had raised the Outbound Travel Alert for the Philippines to Black.
In the first two months after the incident, 4000 pesos of tourist receipts were lost. In August 2010, about 12,000 tourists were from Hong Kong. However, in September, there were only about 7000 tourists form Hong Kong.
Controversies in the Internet[change | edit source]
Jackie Chan, an actor, said that Hong Kong people had forgiven the Philippine Police. Many "netizens" in Hong Kong disagreed his comment and condemned him. Later, his blog had an entry about his own café in the Philippines welcomed by the Philippine policemen.  He later apologized. 
Anecdote[change | edit source]
A Hong Kong TV station, TVB, played Can't Buy Me Love, a comedy, after the live show of the hostage incident. TVB had received complaints afterwards.
References[change | edit source]
- "Ex-cop holds tourist bus passengers hostage in Manila". GMA News. 2010-08-23. http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/199183/news/nation/ex-cop-holds-tourist-bus-passengers-hostage-in-manila.
- "Bloody end to Philippines hostage drama". CNN. 2010-08-23.
- "綁架頻生 針對遊客華人". 明報. 2010-08-24.
- "菲警自購槍械 革職後仍可保管". 東方日報. 2010-08-28. http://orientaldaily.on.cc/cnt/news/20100828/00176_020.html.
- "菲律宾劫持游客嫌犯曾为功勋警官 因勒索被解雇". 2010-08-24. http://news.china.com.cn/txt/2010-08/24/content_20774136.htm.
- "中国政府强烈谴责菲律宾歹徒暴行 要菲方书面解释". 新京报. 2010-08-24. http://news.china.com/zh_cn/focus/flbjc/11085862/20100824/16098951.html.
- "馬尼拉康泰團遇槍手挾持及殺戮經過". 東方日報. http://orientaldaily.on.cc/cnt/news/20100824/00176_008.html.
- "謝廷駿最後通話：好大鑊". 星島日報. 2011-02-16.
- Emile Guert. Manila Hostage Massacre [Youtube]. History Channel Asia: Ten Alps Asia.
- 易小玲：「叫我宜家點見人？」下顎中槍毀容一字一淚哭訴, 星島日報
- 門多薩一步一槍「行刑」 陳國柱憶傅卓仁梁錦榮衝前「肉搏」慘遭射殺, 星島日報
- "馬尼拉人質慘劇頭部中槍 Jason留醫三年 仍靠輪椅代步". 蘋果日報. 2013-08-21.
- TVB (2010-08-23). "TVB evening news report" (in Chinese). TVB. http://mytv.tvb.com/news/newsroundup/110731#page-1. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- 我想康泰解釋一下以下菲律賓差館嘅文件 « MO's notebook 3 to 4
- "記者中流彈擦傷 裝器材鐵箱當護盾". 明報. 201008024. http://hk.news.yahoo.com/article/100823/4/juji.html. Retrieved 201008024.
- "TVB採訪隊員肚皮中流彈". 蘋果日報. 2010-08-24. http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/art/20100824/14376546.
- "特首：一個月無成果制裁菲律賓". 香港政府新聞網. 2013-11-05. http://www.news.gov.hk/tc/categories/law_order/html/2013/11/20131105_104139.shtml.
- Ada Lee. "Hong Kong cancels visa-free privileges for Philippine officials and diplomats". http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1416732/hong-kong-cancels-visa-free-privileges-philippines-officials-and?page=all.
- "阿基諾堅拒就人質事件道歉". 2014-02-05. http://hk.news.yahoo.com/%E9%98%BF%E5%9F%BA%E8%AB%BE%E5%A0%85%E6%8B%92%E5%B0%B1%E4%BA%BA%E8%B3%AA%E4%BA%8B%E4%BB%B6%E9%81%93%E6%AD%89-140400782.html.
- "黑客攻陷菲國網頁抗議". 蘋果日報. 20100828. http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/template/apple/art_main.php?iss_id=20100828&sec_id=4104&subsec_id=11866&art_id=14391873. Retrieved 20100828.
- "脅持人質慘劇慘上慘 菲律賓調亂三遺體 累家人迎錯靈柩". http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/first/20100902/14408141.
- "屠夫蓋國旗 人神共憤". http://orientaldaily.on.cc/cnt/news/20100828/00174_001.html.
- Discuss in Baby Kingdom
- "中國譴責魔警棺蓋國旗 菲政府承認不當 已指示家屬移走". 蘋果日報. 2010-08-28. http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/art/20100828/14391893.
- 暫有一家庭願葬親景仰園 社署聯絡多部門 照料汪家遺孤, 星島日報
- 四名遇難者 安葬景仰園, 蘋果日報
- "運輸業界：太平門可按掣開". 2010-08-24. http://www.e123.hk/ElderlyPro/details/19148/71/.
- "記者直擊 警屢失生擒良機". 東方日報. http://orientaldaily.on.cc/cnt/news/20100824/00176_010.html.
- "Hong Kong angry, sad at handling of Manila siege". CNN. 2010-08-24. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/08/23/hongkong.hostages.reaction/index.html?hpt=T1#fbid=BdEYJrewkeO&wom=false. ""Is there only one ax in the Philippines?" "Why didn't the police shoot the gunman earlier?" said one comment posted in a forum, The Standard reported."
- "兩度錯過制服槍手 破窗竟花半小時 菲警遲鈍害命中港追究". 蘋果日報. 2010-08-24. http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/art/20100824/14376624.
- "Ten things the Philippines bus siege police got wrong". BBC News. 2010-08-24. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11069616.
- "犯罪學家轟菲國談判失策". 蘋果日報. 2010-08-24. http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/art/20100824/14376547.
- "電視傳畫面槍聲 心情如坐過山車 生死兩小時全港人煎熬". 蘋果日報. http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/art/20100824/14376563.
- "網絡驚爆！菲警救人先毀證？". 2010-08-24. http://www.881903.com/Page/ZH-TW/newsdetail.aspx?ItemId=272426&csid=503_1705.
- "陳國柱稱菲警不濟". 明報. 2011-02-21. http://dailynews.sina.com/bg/chn/chnpolitics/mingpao/20110221/12432242927.html.
- 送上救護車 零急救設施, 成報
- 脅持慘劇菲報告稱首間醫院拒收轉送途中沒心跳 楊綺華疑失救枉死, 蘋果日報
- "港明午和平遊行". 頭條日報. 2010-08-28. http://news.hkheadline.com/dailynews/content_hk/2010/08/28/120924.asp.
- "菲政府辦彌撒悼遇難港人". 香港商報.
- "中菲兩國官員 慘劇現場悼港8亡魂". 新報.
- "崔世安致函曾蔭權 深切哀悼遇難香港市民". 新聞局. 2010-08-24.
- "人質家屬入稟高院向菲索償". 星島日報. http://www.singtao.com/breakingnews/20130822a173936.asp.
- "人質事件生還者及家屬入稟索償金額以百萬計". 2013-08-22. http://www.metroradio.com.hk/997/News/Default.aspx?NewsID=20130822193536.
- "馬尼拉人質事件生還者入稟高院控告康泰疏忽". http://www.881903.com/Page/zh-tw/newsdetail.aspx?ItemId=651050&csid=261_341.
- "疏忽照顧 違安全責任 兩生還者告康泰". 新報. http://www.hkdailynews.com.hk/news.php?id=295679.
- "香港對菲律賓發出黑色旅遊警示". 2010-08-23. http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201008/23/P201008230260.htm.
- "中港遊客退房 菲旅館業者損百萬". 中國報. 2010-09-15. http://www.chinapress.com.my/node/155713.
- "菲47萬元聘港公關救旅業". 太陽報. 2011-03-28. http://the-sun.on.cc/cnt/news/20110328/00407_082.html.
- 成龍盼平息港菲仇怨 「別擔心，我們沒有憎恨」, 星島日報
- 成龍被屈撐菲警 慘變箭靶, 太陽報
- "成龍瞎挺菲律賓 被揭為私利 曾志偉譙「應道歉」". 2010-08-27. http://ent.appledaily.com.tw/enews/article/entertainment/20100827/32768119.
- 成龍發聲明拆彈 免愈描愈黑, 太陽報
- 黃貫中微博斥阿奎諾三世 「誰要暗殺你我出錢」, 蘋果日報
- 阿Paul坐監都要鬧爆菲總統, 星島日報
- "無綫播《公主嫁到》接投訴". 太陽報. 2010-08-25. http://the-sun.on.cc/cnt/entertainment/20100825/00470_004.html.
- "影迷情琛——公主嫁到". 頭條日報. 2010-08-27. http://news.h1.hk/dailynews/headline_news_detail_columnist.asp?id=120873§ion_name=wtt&kw=30.
- "陳豪佘詩曼催谷新劇 《公主嫁到》歡樂勵志". 2010-08-30. http://paper.wenweipo.com/2010/08/30/EN1008300020.htm.
Related webpages[change | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Manila hostage crisis|
|Wikinews has news related to this article: Hong Kong tourists held hostage in the Philippines, nine killed|
- Facebook page: 深切哀悼菲律賓遇害港人 In remembrance of the Manila hijack victims (Chinese)
- Outbound Travel Alert for the Philippines
Appendix[change | edit source]
Official reports and statement of the government[change | edit source]
- Meeting minutes about the incident of Legislative Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- Official Statement of President Aquino on the August 23, 2010 hostage-taking incident at the Quirino Grandstand
- First Report of the IIRC on the Rizal Park Hostage-taking Incident
- Review of the 1st Report of the IIRC dated August 23, 2010
- SECOND REPORT OF THE INCIDENT INVESTIGATION AND REVIEW COMMITTEE (IIRC) ON THE AUGUST 23, 2010 RIZAL PARK HOSTAGE-TAKING INCIDENT