Marco Pantani (13 January 1970 – 14 February 2004) was an Italian professional cyclist. He was born in Cesena, Emilia-Romagna. He was very good at climbing mountains in races. In 1998 he won both the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia. He was a popular cyclist, and his Italian fans gave him the nickname 'Il Pirata' (the pirate) because of his appearance (he often wore a bandana) and because of his aggressive riding style. He failed a test in the 1999 Giro d'Italia. He returned to cycling, but never won a major race again. In June of 2003 he went into hospital with depression. He died of a cocaine overdose in 2004 in Rimini, Emilia-Romagna. His last entry in his diary read:
|“||For four years I've been in every court, I just lost my desire to be like all the other sportsmen, but cycling has paid and many youngsters have lost their faith in justice. All my colleagues have been , with TV cameras hidden in their hotel rooms to try and ruin families. How could you not hurt yourself after that?||”|
Major results[change | edit source]
Tour de France results[change | edit source]
- 1994: 3rd overall; 2nd mountains classification; 1st young rider classification (Maillot blanc)
- 1995: 13th overall; 1st young rider classification (Maillot blanc); Stage 10 and 14 wins
- 1997: 3rd overall; Stage 13 and 15 wins
- 1998: 1st overall (maillot jaune); 7 days in maillot jaune; 2nd mountains classification; Stage 11 and 15 wins
- 2000: Did not finish; Stage 12 and 15 wins
Giro d'Italia results[change | edit source]
- 1994: 2nd overall; 2nd young rider classification; 3rd mountains classification; Stage 14 and 15 wins
- 1998: 1st overall (maglia rosa); 1st mountains classification (maglia verde); Stage 14 and 19 wins
- 1999: Stage 8, 15, 19 and 20 wins
- 2000: 28th overall
- 2003: 14th overall
Other stage races and classics[change | edit source]
Other websites[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- "Italy mourns cyclist Pantani". cbc.ca. 18 February 2004. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2004/02/18/pantani040218.html. Retrieved 11 September 2007.
Further reading[change | edit source]
- Fiore, Stefano (2004). Pantani Vive (with photography by Emanuele and Stefano Sirotti). De Eecloonaar. ISBN 9789077562055.
- Rendell, Matt (2006). The Death of Marco Pantani – A Biography. Weidenfeld & Nicholson. ISBN 9780297850960.
- Ronchi, Manuela (2004). Un uono in fuga – la vera storia di Marco Pantani. Rizzoli. ISBN 9788817003674.
- Ronchi, Manuela (2005). Man on the Run – the Life and Death of Marco Pantani. Robson Books. ISBN 9781861059208.
- Wilcockson, John (2005). Marco Pantani – the Legend of a Tragic Champion (with photography by Graham Watson). Velo Press. ISBN 9781931382656.