Marco Pantani (January 13, 1970 – February 14, 2004) was an Italian professional cyclist. He was very good at climbing mountains in races. In 1998 he won both the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia. He was a popular cyclist, and his Italian fans gave him the nickname 'Il Pirata' (the pirate) because of his appearance (he often wore a bandana) and because of his aggressive riding style. He failed a test in the 1999 Giro d'Italia. He returned to cycling, but never won a major race again. In June of 2003 he went into hospital with depression. He died of a cocaine overdose in 2004. His last entry in his diary read:
||For four years I've been in every court, I just lost my desire to be like all the other sportsmen, but cycling has paid and many youngsters have lost their faith in justice. All my colleagues have been humiliated, with TV cameras hidden in their hotel rooms to try and ruin families. How could you not hurt yourself after that?
Major results [change]
Tour de France results [change]
- 1994: 3rd overall; 2nd mountains classification; 1st young rider classification (Maillot blanc)
- 1995: 13th overall; 1st young rider classification (Maillot blanc); Stage 10 and 14 wins
- 1997: 3rd overall; Stage 13 and 15 wins
- 1998: 1st overall (maillot jaune); 7 days in maillot jaune; 2nd mountains classification; Stage 11 and 15 wins
- 2000: Did not finish; Stage 12 and 15 wins
Giro d'Italia results [change]
- 1994: 2nd overall; 2nd young rider classification; 3rd mountains classification; Stage 14 and 15 wins
- 1998: 1st overall (maglia rosa); 1st mountains classification (maglia verde); Stage 14 and 19 wins
- 1999: Stage 8, 15, 19 and 20 wins
- 2000: 28th overall
- 2003: 14th overall
Other stage races and classics [change]
Other websites [change]
Further reading [change]
- Fiore, Stefano (2004). Pantani Vive (with photography by Emanuele and Stefano Sirotti). De Eecloonaar. ISBN 9789077562055.
- Rendell, Matt (2006). The Death of Marco Pantani – A Biography. Weidenfeld & Nicholson. ISBN 9780297850960.
- Ronchi, Manuela (2004). Un uono in fuga – la vera storia di Marco Pantani. Rizzoli. ISBN 9788817003674.
- Ronchi, Manuela (2005). Man on the Run – the Life and Death of Marco Pantani. Robson Books. ISBN 9781861059208.
- Wilcockson, John (2005). Marco Pantani – the Legend of a Tragic Champion (with photography by Graham Watson). Velo Press. ISBN 9781931382656.