Margaret "Maggie" Gyllenhaal
|Nickname(s)||Daisy, Maggie, Maggy, Meg, Peggy|
|Related names||Margarita, Marguerite|
Margaret is an English name that dates back to around the 11th century. The name was popular in the Middle Ages, though between the 16th and 18th centuries it became less popular. However, during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the name became popular again, hitting #2 on the female name charts in 1903. The name declined in its popularity after the year 1903 and is less common today though it is still popular among girls.
The name Maggie is a short form of Margaret. Other nicknames include Meg and Peggy.
Well known people[change | edit source]
Famous Margarets include:
- Margaret Taylor - Former US First lady
- Margaret Thatcher - former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Meg Whitman - CEO of Ebay
- Margaretha Grietje Zelle, better known as Mata Hari
- Margaret Cho, American comedian
- Margaret Hamilton - American actress
- Maggie Gyllenhaal - American actress
- Dame Maggie Smith - English actress
- Maggie Q - American actress