|Directed by||Dan Scanlon|
|Produced by||Kori Rae|
|Written by||Daniel Gerson
Robert L. Baird
|Music by||Randy Newman|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Pictures|
|Release date(s)||June 21, 2013|
Monsters University is an upcoming computer-animated comedy movie. It is a prequel to Monsters, Inc. that has Sulley and Mike in high school before they became friends. It is set to be shown in 2013. It is currently being directed by Dan Scanlon and produced by Kori Rae. John Goodman, Billy Crystal, and Steve Buscemi will come back as Sulley, Mike, and Randall for the movie.
- Billy Crystal as Michael "Mike" Wazowski
- John Goodman as James P. "Sulley" Sullivan
- Steve Buscemi as Randall "Randy" Boggs
- Jennifer Tilly as Celia Mae 
- Joel Murray as Don Carlton, the founding member of Oozma Kappa fraternity
- Sean Hayes as Terri Perry, an Oozma Kappa fraternity member
- Dave Foley as Terry Perry, an Oozma Kappa fraternity member
- Peter Sohn as Scott "Squishy" Squibbles, an Oozma Kappa fraternity member
- Charlie Day as Art, an Oozma Kappa fraternity member
- Frank Oz as Jeff Fungus
- Helen Mirren as Dean Hardscrabble, the headmistress at Monsters University.
- Alfred Molina as Professor Knight
- Nathan Fillion as Johnny Worthington, president of Roar Omega Roar
- Aubrey Plaza as Claire Wheeler, Greek Council president
- Tyler Labine as Brock Pearson, Greek Council vice-president
- John Krasinski as "Frightening" Frank McCay
- Bonnie Hunt as Karen Graves, Mike's grade school teacher
- Bobby Moynihan as Chet Alexander, a Roar Omega Roar fraternity member
- Julia Sweeney as Ms. Squibbles, Scott's mother
- Beth Behrs as Carrie Williams, leader of Python Nu Kappa sorority
- John Ratzenberger as a Monsters, Inc. employee
A second movie of Monsters, Inc. had been planned since 2005. Following disagreements between then-Disney CEO Michael Eisner and then-Pixar owner Steve Jobs, Disney (who at the time owned the rights to make sequels to all of Pixar's films until the movie Cars was released) announced that a sequel to Monsters, Inc. would be made by Circle 7 Animation. Circle 7 were also working on an early draft of Toy Story 3 at the time.
The movie was originally going to be named Monsters, Inc. 2: Lost in Scaradise. The movie would have been about Mike and Sulley visiting the human world to give Boo a birthday present. However, they find out that she had moved to a different house. After getting trapped in the human world, Mike and Sulley split up after disagreeing on what to do (Sulley wanting to look for Boo, Mike wanting to find a way to get back to Monstropolis).
Screenwriters Rob Muir and Bob Hilgenberg were hired to write the script. They storyboarded an early draft of the script.
A sequel made by Pixar was officially announced in 2010. The movie was originally planned to be released on November 16, 2012. However, it was later changed to November 2, 2012 (eleven years to the day after the release of its predecessor) to avoid direct competition with The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2. On April 5, 2011, it was announced that the film's release date had been pushed back farther to June 21, 2013 due to the success of Pixar movies that are released in the summer. This is according to Disney distribution executive Chuck Viane. It will be the studios' fourteenth feature film.
In early 2011, there were claims that Monsters, Inc. 2 was going to be a prequel which focuses on Sulley and Mike's studies at the University of Fear, where they start off as rivals but soon become best friends. This is similar to how Woody and Buzz Lightyear start off in the first Toy Story. On March 29, 2011, it was confirmed that the movie will indeed be a prequel and the new title Monsters University was shown. The movie will be directed by Dan Scanlon and produced by Kori Rae. It was also announced that John Goodman, Billy Crystal and Steve Buscemi will be reprising their roles. New voice cast includes Dave Foley, Julia Sweeney, Joel Murray, and Peter Sohn.
On August 12, 2011 Billy Crystal went to a 20th anniversary screening of City Slickers. When he was asked about his return to the role of Mike Wazowski he said, "That's why I'm a little hoarse. I spent five-and-a-half hours today for our fourth session on Monsters Inc. 2." Crystal has said that he and co-star John Goodman are having a blast together and describes the script as "really great" and "hilarious". Crystal also gave little details of the story of the movie. He described, "It's college pranks with monsters. And I wear a retainer. Mike has a retainer."
- Disney/Pixar's Monsters University Enrolls Top Talent Nathan Fillion, Bonnie Hunt, John Krasinski, Aubrey Plaza and more
- Connelly, Brendon (July 24, 2012). "Randy Newman Sings Part Of The Monsters University Theme That He Hasn't Written Yet". Bleeding Cool. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/24/randy-newman-sings-part-of-the-monsters-university-theme-that-he-hasnt-written-yet/. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- Graser, Marc (April 22, 2010). "Disney drawing 'Monsters Inc.' sequel". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118018177. Retrieved March 6, 2012.
- Eisenberg, Eric (August 20, 2011). "Monsters University Voice Cast And Plot Details Announced At D23". Cinema Blend. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Monsters-University-Voice-Cast-And-Plot-Details-Announced-At-D23-26344.html. Retrieved March 6, 2012.
- Roahrig, Maxwell (May 8, 2012). "Flixclusive: Joel Murray talks Monsters University". Flixist. http://www.flixist.com/flixclusive-joel-murray-talks-monsters-university-210124.phtml. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- Rizvi, Samad (February 12, 2013). "New ‘Monsters University’ Characters Revealed, Sean Hayes and Charlie Day Join Cast". Pixar Times. http://pixartimes.com/2013/02/12/new-monsters-university-characters-revealed-sean-hayes-and-charlie-day-join-cast/. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Risley, Matt (February 20, 2013). "Exclusive: Meet the class of Monsters University". Total Film. http://www.totalfilm.com/news/exclusive-meet-the-class-of-monsters-university. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Paquette, Danielle (12 July 2012). "Frank Oz speaks — but not as Yoda or Miss Piggy". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/26/entertainment/la-et-mn-frank-oz-yoda-miss-piggy-20120726. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- O'Hara, Helen (February 11, 2013). "Helen Mirren Set For Monsters University". Empire. http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=36472. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- Reynolds, Simon (February 21, 2013). "'Monsters University' unveils character posters, ID cards". Digital Spy. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a460540/monsters-university-unveils-character-posters-id-cards.html. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Rome, Emily (April 16, 2013). "Nathan Fillion, Bonnie Hunt, John Krasinski, more voice cast revealed for Pixar's 'Monsters University' -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. http://family-room.ew.com/2013/04/16/pixar-monsters-university-voice-cast/. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- Jim Hill (August 7, 2005). "The Skinny on Circle Seven". http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2005/08/08/655.aspx. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- Jim Hill (March 7, 2011). "Want a peek at Circle 7's unproduced "Monsters, Inc." sequel?". http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2011/03/07/want-a-peek-at-circle-7-s-unproduced-quot-monsters-inc-quot-sequel.aspx. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- Bob and Rob (March 7, 2011). "Monsters Inc. 2 "Lost In Scaradise"". http://bobrob.blogspot.com/2011/03/monsters-inc-2-lost-in-scaradise.html. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- Fischer, Russ (August 4, 2010). "Disney Updates: Beauty and the Beast 3D Pushed; New Date for Monsters, Inc., 2; King of the Elves Being Reworked". /Film. http://www.webcitation.org/5rkyWc0tW. Retrieved January 9, 2011.
- "Monsters University Pushed to 2012". movieweb.com. April 4, 2011. http://www.movieweb.com/news/monsters-university-pushed-to-2013. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- LeBlanc, Will (January 3, 2011). "Will Monsters, Inc. 2 be a prequel?". Cinema Blend. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Will-Monsters-Inc-2-Be-A-Prequel-22431.html. Retrieved January 9, 2011.
- "John Lasseter Talks CARS 2, BRAVE and the Future of Pixar". Collider. http://collider.com/john-lasseter-cars-2-brave-interview/93499/. Retrieved May 29, 2011.
- "Pixar Short Director Dan Scanlon Set to Helm 'Monsters University'". First Showing. http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/pixar-short-director-dan-scanlon-set-to-helm-monsters-univeristy/. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- Lesnick, Silas; Murphy, Matt (August 20, 2011). "D23 Expo: Director Dan Scanlon Talks Monsters University". ComingSoon. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81296. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- "‘Monsters Inc.’ prequel: Billy Crystal gets schooled by Pixar". Los Angeles Times. August 12, 2012. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/08/13/monsters-inc-prequel-billy-crystal-gets-schooled-by-pixar/. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
Other websites [change]