Nmap is a computer program that is used for port scanning (finding out all the ways a computer communicates with other computers on a network). It was written by Gordon Lyon. It can also do other kinds of scanning. This is because Nmap is open source, so many people can help write it to make it better.
What Nmap can do[change | edit source]
Here are some things Nmap can do:
- Find computers on a network
- Find open ports on those computers
- Find out what services are using those ports
- Find out what operating system is on the computers
- Let a programmer choose what to do with the services it finds. The programmer can write Nmap Scripting Engine programs in the Lua programming language. Then Nmap will use those programs to decide what to do.