|Regions with significant populations|
|Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Odisha, Chhattisgarh|
Padmashali (Telugu: పద్మశాలి) is a Telugu-speaking Hindu artisan community. The community members are traditionally weavers who specialise in weaving cloth of all kinds. The community is related to the Brahmins. They originally come from the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh and later some of the community members also moved to the neighbouring Indian states of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Odisha. Most Padmashalis speak Telugu, except in the Dakshina Kannada district of Coastal Karnataka, where they speak Tulu.
Although Padmashalis are related to Brahmins, they are considered as a backward (OBC) caste by the Indian government. The community is highly Sanskritised, with all men wearing the sacred thread and performing the similar rituals which Brahmins do, yet most of the community members eat non-vegetarian food and worship local gods which are not worshipped by Brahmins. They are not considered as Brahmins, despite their similar customs. Instead they are considered by some as Vaishyas and by others as even Shudras.
References[change | edit source]
- Padmashali population
- P, Swarnalatha. The World of the Weaver in Northern Coromandel, C.1750-C.1850 (2005 ed.). Hyderabad: Orient Longman Private Limited. p. 31. ISBN 9788125028680. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=t5XlI91kP3YC&pg=PA31&dq=padma+sale&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dtfvUIPOJYePlQXNhIDIBA&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=padma%20sale&f=false. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Singh, Kumar Suresh. People of India: Maharashtra, Volume 3 (2004 ed.). Mumbai: Popular Prakashan. p. 1610. ISBN 9788179911020. http://books.google.co.in/books?id=4bfmnmsBfQ4C&pg=PA1610&lpg=PA1610&dq=padmasali+shudra&source=bl&ots=HGtev4HbLE&sig=YfywLHJO6ZRj58ZvXKzHWB0KaVc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fPgdUeb8MIfzrQfFw4HQAw&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=padmashali%20shudra&f=false. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
Other websites[change | edit source]
- Padmashali Network, Global
- Padmashali International Welfare Association, Vijayawada
- POPA - Padmashali Officials and Professionals Association
- World Padmashali Foundation
- Padmashali Samaj Seva Sangh - an informational portal for Padmashalis
- Karnataka Padmashali Sangha
- Weavers Welfare Trust
- Nirmal Padmashali Sanstha
- Akhil Padmashali Samaj
- Padmashali Graduates and Students Association