Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople
|His All Holiness
|Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople|
|Church||Church of Constantinople|
|Enthroned||2 November 1991|
|Birth name||Dimitrios Arhondonis (Δημήτριος Αρχοντώνης - Dimítrios Archontónis)|
|Born||29 February 1940
Aghios Theodoros (Zeytinli Köyü), Imbros (Gökçeada), Turkey
|Denomination||Eastern Orthodox Christianity|
|Residence||Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, Fener, Istanbul, Turkey|
|Parents||Christos (father) and Merope (mother) Archontónis|
|Alma mater||Patriarchal Theological school (Halki seminary)|
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I (Greek: Οικουμενικός Πατριάρχης Βαρθολομαίος Α, Turkish: Patrik I. Bartholomeos) (born 29 February 1940) is the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, and thus "first among equals" in the Eastern Orthodox Communion, since 2 November 1991. He is thus the spiritual leader of 300 million Orthodox Christians around the world.
Chapter with Pope John Paul II “Earth Toward Our Children’s Future" and authored "To Commit a Crime Against the Natural World Is a Sin” of
- Michael P. Nelson and Kathleen Dean Moore (eds.). Moral Ground: Ethical Action for a Planet in Peril. Trinity University Press, 2010 ISBN 9781595340665
- Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew: insights into an Orthodox Christian worldview (2007) John Chryssavgis International Journal of Environmental Studies, 64, (1);pp: 9 - 18
- "Ecumenical Patriarch of the Worldwide Orthodox Christian Church Meets with American Bible Society Leaders". Religious News Service. July17, 2007. http://www.religionnews.com/press02/PR071707.html.
- "American Bible Society Sees Potential in Blossoming Greek Orthodox Relations". The Christian Post. July23, 2007. http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070723/28575_American_Bible_Society_Sees_Potential_in_Blossoming_Greek_Orthodox_Relations.htm.
- "The Patriarch". Time. July 29, 2007. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,860404,00.html.