Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople
|His All Holiness
|Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople|
|Church||Church of Constantinople|
|Enthroned||2 November 1991|
|Birth name||Dimitrios Arhondonis (Δημήτριος Αρχοντώνης - Dimítrios Archontónis)|
|Born||29 February 1940
Aghios Theodoros (Zeytinli Köyü), Imbros (Gökçeada), Turkey
|Denomination||Eastern Orthodox Christianity|
|Residence||Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, Fener, Istanbul, Turkey|
|Parents||Christos (father) and Merope (mother) Archontónis|
|Alma mater||Patriarchal Theological school (Halki seminary)|
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I (Greek: Οικουμενικός Πατριάρχης Βαρθολομαίος Α, Turkish: Patrik I. Bartholomeos) (born 29 February 1940) is the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, and thus "first among equals" in the Eastern Orthodox Communion, since 2 November 1991. He is thus the spiritual leader of 300 million Orthodox Christians around the world.
Contributor[change | edit source]
Chapter with Pope John Paul II “Earth Toward Our Children’s Future" and authored "To Commit a Crime Against the Natural World Is a Sin” of
- Michael P. Nelson and Kathleen Dean Moore (eds.). Moral Ground: Ethical Action for a Planet in Peril. Trinity University Press, 2010 ISBN 9781595340665
References[change | edit source]
- Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew: insights into an Orthodox Christian worldview (2007) John Chryssavgis International Journal of Environmental Studies, 64, (1);pp: 9 - 18
- "Ecumenical Patriarch of the Worldwide Orthodox Christian Church Meets with American Bible Society Leaders". Religious News Service. July17, 2007. http://www.religionnews.com/press02/PR071707.html.
- "American Bible Society Sees Potential in Blossoming Greek Orthodox Relations". The Christian Post. July23, 2007. http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070723/28575_American_Bible_Society_Sees_Potential_in_Blossoming_Greek_Orthodox_Relations.htm.
- "The Patriarch". Time. July 29, 2007. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,860404,00.html.