Perth, Western Australia
|• Total||5,386 km2 (2,079 sq mi)|
|• Density||280/km2 (700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||AWST (UTC+8)|
|• Summer (DST)||AWDT (UTC+9)|
Perth is the capital city of the state of Western Australia. It is built on the banks of the Swan River. Almost 1.7 million people live in the city. It is the fourth biggest city in Australia, behind Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Perth was founded in 1829 by Captain James Stirling. Perth is famous for its beautiful white, sandy beaches. Popular local beaches include Cottesloe and Scarborough. These beaches are ideal for swimming and bodysurfing. A popular local tourist attraction is Rottnest Island, which is populated by small native mammals called Quokkas.
Sister Cities[change | edit source]
Perth is a sister city with many other cities. Sister cities can share students and business contacts. Perth is a sister city to these cities:
- Kagoshima, Japan
- Houston, Texas
- Rhodes, Greece
- Megisti, Greece
- San Diego, California
- Vasto, Italy
- Nanjing, People's Republic of China
- Taipei, Republic of China
- Chengdu, People's Republic of China
Universities[change | edit source]
- University of Western Australia
- Murdoch University
- Curtin University
- Edith Cowan University
- University of Notre Dame (Western Australia) (private)
Climate[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- "Regional Population Growth, Australia 2008–2009". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 30 March 2010. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/3218.0~2009-10~Main+Features~Main+Features?OpenDocument#PARALINK16.
- City of Perth: Sister Cities (accessed 2007-02-27)
- Western Australian Universities (accessed 2007-02-27)
- "Perth is Australia's windiest city | Did You Know That..?". didyouknowthat.org. 2011 [last update]. http://www.didyouknowthat.org/index.php/all-countries-facts/454-perth-is-australias-windiest-city. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- "The Great Australian Weather Debate". gungahlinweather.com. 2008 [last update]. http://www.gungahlinweather.com/articles/greatweatherdebate.htm. Retrieved August 31, 2011. "officially be call"
- "Did you know that...about Australia?". upfromaustralia.com. 2011 [last update]. http://www.upfromaustralia.com/reallyaussie.html. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- "Western Australia Map and Information". virtualoceania.net. 2011 [last update]. http://www.virtualoceania.net/australia/states/westernaustralia.shtml. Retrieved September 1, 2011. "sun"
- "Weather in Perth". immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com. 2011 [last update]. http://www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com/weather-perth.html. Retrieved September 1, 2011.
- "Perth in 60 Seconds | Mail Online". dailymail.co.uk. 2011 [last update]. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1344332/Perth-60-Seconds.html. Retrieved September 1, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Perth, Western Australia|