From the movie Bewitched (1945)
|Born||Phyllis St. Felix Thaxter
November 20, 1919
Portland, Maine, U.S.
|Died||August 14, 2012
Longwood, Florida, U.S.
|Cause of death||Alzheimer's disease|
|Known for||Martha Kent in Superman,
Ellen Lawson in Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
|Spouse||James Thomas Aubrey, Jr. (m. 1944–1962)
Gilbert Lea (m. 1962–2008)
Phyllis St. Felix Thaxter (November 20, 1919 – August 14, 2012) was an American stage and movie actress. She was known for playing Superman's mother in the 1978 movie Superman, and as Ellen Lawson in Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo.
Early life[change | change source]
Career[change | change source]
She had worked a lot on Broadway since 1940. When Dorothy McGuire went to Hollywood, Phyllis replaced her in the play Claudia. In 1944, she signed a contract with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Her first movie was with Van Johnson in the wartime movie Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. Thaxter played Joan Alris Ellis, a woman suffering from split personality in the movie Bewitched in 1945. In 1948, she played a cattle owner's daughter alongside Barbara Bel Geddes in Blood on the Moon.
At MGM, she routinely portrayed the ever-patient wife to a number of leading men. She moved to Warner Brothers in the 1950s, but usually played the same type of roles.
Thaxter's career ended for a while after being ill of polio in 1952. She made a comeback on the television series in Rawhide. She would later appear on other television programs such as; Wagon Train, The Twilight Zone, and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. In 1978, Thaxter was cast along with Glenn Ford as Ma and Pa Kent in Superman.
Personal life[change | change source]
Death[change | change source]
Movies[change | change source]
- Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944)
- Bewitched (1945)
- Week-End at the Waldorf (1945)
- Tenth Avenue Angel (1946)
- The Sea of Grass (1947)
- Living in a Big Way (1947)
- Blood on the Moon (1948)
- Act of Violence (1948)
- No Man of Her Own (1950)
- The Breaking Point (1950)
- Jim Thorpe -- All-American (1951)
- Fort Worth (1951)
- Springfield Rifle (1952)
- Wagon Train (1959)
- Women's Prison (1955)
- The World of Henry Orien (1964)
- The Invaders (TV series), Season 2/21, Episode: "The Peacemaker" (1968)
- Superman (1978)
References[change | change source]
- 1920 U.S. Census
- Denise Grady (August 18, 2012). "Phyllis Thaxter, Actress Who Played Superman’s Mother, Dies at 92". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/movies/phyllis-thaxter-actress-who-played-supermans-ma-kent-dies-at-92.html?src=recg. Retrieved 2012-08-22. "Her death was confirmed by her daughter, Skye Aubrey, who said that Ms. Thaxter had had Alzheimer’s disease for the last eight years. ..."
- Some sources say she was born 1921, while other sources incorrectly say she was born in 1919.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Phyllis Thaxter|