Poitiers is a town on the Clain River in west central France. It is the capital (préfecture) of the Vienne department and of the Poitou-Charentes region. The town is picturesque; and its streets are interesting for their remains of ancient architecture, especially of the Romanesque period, and the memories of great historical events. About 86.000 people live in Poitiers.
Notable people[change | edit source]
This is a list of people of interest who were born or resided in Poitiers:
- René Descartes studied law at the University of Poitiers
- Michel Foucault, French philosopher
- Jean-Pierre Thiollet, French author
- Brian Joubert, French ice skating champion
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Poitiers|
- City council website (in French)
- Visiting Poitiers (in English)
- Tourisme Poitiers (official site, in French)
- Tourism Poitiers (official site, in English).