Political Parties in France
France has a multi-party system, which means that several political parties must form coalitions in order to form a government. This is because it would be very difficult for any one party to win a majority of seats in the French National Assembly. Since the 1980s, there have been two major coalitions; one is a collection of right-wing parties and the other is a collection of left-wing parties..
Far-Right Parties [change]
National Front (Front National) - Promotes strong law enforcement, anti-immigration, Euroscepticism and a return to traditional French values.
Right-wing Parties [change]
National Centre of Independents and Peasants (Centre National des Indépendants et Paysans) - Promotes Social conservatism, Liberal conservatism and National conservatism.
Hunting, Fishing, Nature, Tradition (Chasse, Pêche, Nature, Traditions) - Promotes traditional rural values which include giving people the right to hunt and fish freely and the refusal of environmental legislation. Is also conservative and Eurosceptic.
Movement for France (Mouvement pour la France) - Promotes strong law enforcement, conservatism, anti-immigration and Euroscepticism.
Centrist Parties [change]
Radical Party (Parti Radical) - Promotes liberalism.
Green Parties [change]
Trotskyist Parties [change]
Minor Parties [change]
- Royal Alliance (Alliance Royale)
- Nouvelle Action Royaliste
- Democratic rally (Rassemblement démocrate)
- Worker's Communist Party of France (Parti Communiste des Ouvriers de France)
- Independent Worker's Party (Parti ouvrier indépendant) - Trotskyist
- Pole of Communist Rebirth in France (Pôle de Renaissance Communiste en France)
Green Parties [change]
- Ecology Generation (Génération Écologie)
- Independent Ecological Movement (Mouvement Écologiste Indépendant)
- Citizenship, Action, Participation for the 21st Century (Citoyenneté Action Participation pour le XXIe siècle)
- Union of Radical Republicans (Union des républicains radicaux)
- Liberal Democratic Party (Parti libéral démocrate)
- Pirate Party (Parti Pirate)
Regionalist Parties [change]
- Abertzaleen Batasuna - Basque nationalist
- Alsace d'abord (In English:Alsace First) - Alsace nationalist
- Savoyan League (Ligue savoisienne) - Savoy nationalist
- Breton Democratic Union (Union Démocratique Bretonne) - Breton nationalism
- Party of the Corsican Nation (U Partitu di a Nazione Corsa) - Corsican nationalism
- Corsica Libera - Corsican nationalism